Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Father's workbench.

My Father's workbench.

This weekend I was honored to bring my Father's workbench into my shop. My Dad is 87 years old, and he and my Mom are moving into a townhouse complex for age 55 and over residents. He has had this workbench for 50+ years, and told me that he wanted me to have it someday when he was done with it. Well, that time was Saturday and my strong and faithful best friend Scott helped me move it in. It is REALLY heavy, and built like a tank. I can remember as a little boy looking through all Dad's tools in the drawers, and being amazed at watching my Father work with them. He was a pipefitter by trade, and we built some amazing things on this old bench. I can still recognize the same tools and packages of hardware that were in the drawers back then today! My Father taught me every good and noble thing that I've learned in life, and his loving guidance brought me to where I am today.

Yes, it's an honor to have your Father's workbench and tools, and having it so close will always keep that part of him near me. Sorry for rambling, but you folks probably understand this better than anyone else! Here's a picture of it:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom Pritchard; 04-27-2005 at 9:32 PM.
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau

Yup, looks like it's good for another 50 years! Use it in good health and pass it on. It's a treasure.

The workbench and storage look as serviceable now as when built. I'm sure there are a lot of memories that go with the bench and also need to be passed down. Make sure you can share its new home with your Dad if only in pictures and showing it being put to use. It will give him so much joy.

I regret that my Dad did not have a workbench to pass on, but there were lots of memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield
    The workbench and storage look as serviceable now as when built. I'm sure there are a lot of memories that go with the bench and also need to be passed down. Make sure you can share its new home with your Dad if only in pictures and showing it being put to use. It will give him so much joy.

I regret that my Dad did not have a workbench to pass on, but there were lots of memories.
    Hi Tom. Interestingly enough, I have special instructions from my Dad not to move any of the drawers, or mix up any of the stuff in them. That way he can still come over to my house and work on his "projects"! He still loves to tinker around on the bench and he knows he can come to my house and use it anytime he wants. You are so right about it giving him joy to see it with my boys and me! He said it's like a part of him is carrying on. Thanks for the note.
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau

Honor your Dad's wishes Tom! You've scored the biggest gloat! Enjoy and pass it on!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Wow! A lot of good memories must come with the bench! Use it w honor. You'll treasure it even more in later years when your Dad has moved on.
    Jerry

Great looking bench, and the intangible aspects are something no amount of money could buy. You are obviously very proud of it and him, as well you should be. You are a fortunate man.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

That is about the nicest gift of love anyone could ask for. You are a lucky fellow and the bench is beautiful.

Thanks for sharing such a heartfelt story.

nice bench and even nicer is the fact that your father played such an important role in your life. It is as it should be and as it was intended to be from the beginning!

regards
    lou

We do understand and appreciate your thoughts and feelings. As messy and simple as it is, I still get misty eyed whenever I visit my dad's garage and am surrounded by his "stuff". Although he passed several years ago, he is certainly there in my memories of us working together.

Cherish your time together and be thankful.

Bob

Thumbs up

Hi Tom - The title of your post sounds like a potential book title! The bench looks great sitting there. Glad you've got it all together. Both my dad and grandfather were tinkerer's but neither had much in the way of workshops or serious tools. I do have an old Stanley 220 block plane that was my grandfathers that I use alot....and it definitely serves two purposes every time I use it! Both of those guys would absolutely love my little shop and all the gizmos! Among the greatest pleasures of this great hobby is passing it along to future generations or receiving it from past generations.

p.s. I'm not sore anymore....
    Last edited by scott spencer; 04-27-2005 at 8:28 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Congradulations Tom, this is the best GLOAT I have seen in a long time. As you already know, this bench is the best tool you will ever have.

Brian

Tom, of any benches you have or could have in your shop, that is THE bench to have! You are a very fortunate man, Tom! I'm sure you'll take good care of it.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Tom,

We all know how much we relish the time we spend in our shops. I congratulate your Dad on his decision to make your time there that much more special. I sense you'll take very good care of this treasure as I'm sure you know your creating those same memories for your sons right now. Best of luck..... Ken
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Congrats Tom,

I know the words you speak. You got one more job and that's to pass it on with interest.
    Enjoy.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/