Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pterocarpus Rex drum set

An update, finally motorized the rig.

The old 3/4" bearings.

rig_fix_1.jpg

New 1/2" bearings
    rig_fix_2.jpg

A Dayton 9 RPM gear motor. Yes, I've actually bolted it down so it doesn't flop around, and fixed the belt tension, but for picture purposes....

A 1750 RPM 1/2 hp motor is behind the gear motor, I have other uses for that one.

rig_fix_3.jpg

1/2" precision shafting, with these drive rollers. A shame that the drive rollers did not come in 3/4" bore, I would have preferred that.

rig_fix_4.jpg

Video of the setup --->
    Play drums!

An update, then.

A picture of the motor, cinched down. The cradles are from basswood, and they have a 5" arc to kinda, sorta match the motor's body. Plumber's hanging strap keeps the motor firmly on the cradles. Pulley on the motor is 5", on the shaft is a 1.5". The shell now turns at 4 RPM, nominally, 270 inches a minute for the inside cutting, given an 21.5" diameter.

rig_fix_5.jpg

The rough work has been done, time for some finishing passes.

22_inside_1.jpg

2 shots of the inside, complete with tool marks. The ridges are very small, and sanded out easily. Cutting quater sawn grain was great!

22_inside_2.jpg22_inside_3.jpg

The inside is sanded, and this 22" diameter x 16" tall shell is done, ready to be packaged and shipped to the customer.

22_inside_4.jpg
    Play drums!

Betcha I had forgotten all about this project. Took a breather from the shop, spent some good weekends on the bike, and with a fresh attitude, back to it!

The 14" floor tom is set up in the outside turning rig.

14_floor_outside_1.jpg

The first pass or so with the outside.

14_floor_outside_2.jpg

Done with the machining, pretty much hit the target, a tad fat to account for the thickness of the measuring tape, and some sanding.

14_floor_outside_3.jpg

Closer view of the grain.

14_floor_outside_4.jpg

Outside turning and most of the sanding, done.

14_floor_outside_done_1.jpg

The 2nd pass or so with the shell mounted in the inside turning rig.

14_floor_inside_1.jpg

The rig, in all its glory. 8" dia on the motor, 1" dia on the shafting, some Power Link belting, and after all the math is done including the 2.5" drive rollers that the 14" shell is actually sitting on....about 6-7 RPM. Which is fast enough.

14_floor_inside_2.jpg

Not a shabby finish on the inside. Sanding, yes, but not a monstrous amount.

14_floor_inside_3.jpg
    Play drums!

Time for the 16" floor tom.

This is when all the routing was done, padauk everywhere.

16_outside_again_1.jpg

Finished the cross-grain sanding. Switched method of work to remove the cross grain scratches, I use a cork block that is shaped to the outside diameter. I'm hand sanding, rather than using a RO sander, due to 1) pig tails and 2) it's really easy to sand a swale in the center of the shell.

16_outside_again_2.jpg

Removed the bulk of the cross grain scratches, the shell is ready to be un-mounted.

16_outside_again_3.jpg

A not-oft view of my inside rig. Very purpose-built lathe, for sure.

16_inside_1.jpg

Work, work, work.

16_inside_2.jpg

The last of the polygon is cut away. It's truly a drum, now.

16_inside_3.jpg

16" ready for inside sanding.

16_inside_4.jpg
    Last edited by Seth Dolcourt; 04-30-2013 at 2:13 AM.
    Play drums!

Both the 14" and 16" floor toms are sanded to 150, inside and out.

ta_done_1.jpg

A gander inside the 14"
    ta_done_2.jpg

A shot of both shells, basking in the glow of a setting California sun.

ta_done_2a.jpg

Grain detail of the 16" floor tom.

ta_done_3.jpg

22 kick, 16 and 14 floor tom, packed up and ready to head to the customer in Canada. Happy trails!

ship_it_1.jpg
    Play drums!

Lovely work Seth. I enjoy every one of your posts and I like the way you are continually refining your equipment. We gotta figure out how to control that dust though

Hi, Ted,

Too right about the dust, it gets flung everywhere. I wear a N95 dust mask whenever I'm working, but still...better to have the dust collected right from the tool for the sake of neatness.

The Porter Cable 690 router does not have dust collection, so imagination is needed to get dust collection on it.

The PC 7529 does have dust collection port, and it captures the very fine particles, but still spews the heavier chips to all points in the garage. I'd need some additional shrouding, like those flexible bristles that surround a CNC router, to contain the chips.

I have the big Ridgid shop vacuum, which is adequate, and I'm dreaming of a Dust Deputy, from the standpoint of filter maintenance. Still, either I need a more potent shop vac, or upgrade to a 1 HP dust collector.
    Play drums!

Beautiful drums, thanks for sharing. Exotic solid wood is the way to go. I guess my gypsy drum would be on the cheatin' side.
    Sal.

Good Stuff! How much of a problem is dimensional stability on stave drums like this? I would think with humidity/temp changes they would tend to go out of round...

Wow Seth! Very tidy and creative work here. I always enjoy watching your work and processes. Just impressive on all counts!

Peace,
    Mark
    "Thought that is no longer limited brings experience that is no longer limited" Marianne Williamson.

Sorry for the tardy replies, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Kurban View Post
    Beautiful drums, thanks for sharing. Exotic solid wood is the way to go. I guess my gypsy drum would be on the cheatin' side.
    Sal.
    No such thing as cheating. The goal is a sound, and ifthe drum makes a sound, then goal achieved.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Stanbary View Post
    Good Stuff! How much of a problem is dimensional stability on stave drums like this? I would think with humidity/temp changes they would tend to go out of round...
    Hi, Kevin,

Yes, they don't always keep a perfect figure. However, the differences are quite slight, and fortunately, not enough to cause issues for drum head fitment.

Ply constructed shells will naturally be more stable, but it's amazing how even the best of commercially made shells have their own out-of-roundness issues. Goes to show that wood is a tricky material.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Crenshaw View Post
    Wow Seth! Very tidy and creative work here. I always enjoy watching your work and processes. Just impressive on all counts!

Peace,
    Mark
    Hey ya, Mark! Glad to see you back in these waters. Gonna check put your posts....something tasty, no doubt...
    Play drums!