Thread: "Serious Tool" - ultimate gouge

"Serious Tool" - ultimate gouge

My new 1/2" bowl gouge arrived a few minutes ago.......and the camlock handle [boy, this is soooooo nice!] All I have had a chance to do is to take a couple of pics and put an edge on one end [ it is fluted the entire 12" length, and can have a different grind on either end! I did put the gouge into the camlock handle, and you will notice in my pics that I got two collets .....a 1/2" and a 5/8" so I can use the handle for either size.

I plan to do a complete review of this gouge after I have put it through its paces on a couple of pieces of wood and see how this stacks up against the other gouges I have! I will say this.......my initial impressions on just looking at the machining of the camlock handle and the grinding of one edge......I think they are very high quality tools for sure..........I am interested in the sharpness obtained, longevity of the edge before returning to the grinder and the surface quality I get on cuts.........

Once I get a couple of pieces under my belt with the "ultimate gouge" from Serious Toolworks, I will post a review and let you all know what I think......pure and honest!

Scott Trumbo filled that flat rate box with some nice little goodies as well.....some claro walnut, big leaf maple burl, apple and curly redwood!!! Also a copy of Woodturning Design magazine! What a nice gesture on Scott's part!

IMGP3786.jpgIMGP3788.jpgIMGP3789.jpg

Sorry for the quality of the last picture...I did not wait long enough to allow my flash to charge.....it is the top of the camlock handle where the collet and gouge go into the handle.......really nicely machined....all of stainless steel and will not rust with wet woods. Also, the neoprene sleeve ......in my cold shop, this will save my freezing hands!!!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Congrats on a great looking tool. Thanks for being willing to share your experience-will look forward to hearing your impressions.

Sweet! Looking forward to hearing about this!

Roger,

Congrats on the new tools. I have a Serious cam lock tool handle and one of their 1/2" spindle gouges. I like being able to have a different grind on each end of the gouge and being able to change the amount of gouge sticking out of the handle. The cam lock makes making changes very quick and easy. I bought a Thompson 1/2" spindle gouge at the same time. It's a great gouge. I mount it in the Serious cam lock handle. I like being able to quickly switch between the Thompson and Serious gouges. It's a great set up.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by David Walser View Post
    Roger,

Congrats on the new tools. I have a Serious cam lock tool handle and one of their 1/2" spindle gouges. I like being able to have a different grind on each end of the gouge and being able to change the amount of gouge sticking out of the handle. The cam lock makes making changes very quick and easy. I bought a Thompson 1/2" spindle gouge at the same time. It's a great gouge. I mount it in the Serious cam lock handle. I like being able to quickly switch between the Thompson and Serious gouges. It's a great set up.

What is that old saying David? uhmmm......oh yeah, ....."Great minds think alike!" Having seen the tools last year when Scott Trumbo did the demo for our club, I knew the quality of the handle......I have thought about one off an on for over a year......the gouge.....I hope it lives up to its billing........I am anxious to try it out and see how that edge actually wears in real time, on real wood.......I believe I have made a good choice, and for the amount of gouge length out of the handle that is another plus in my mind because you can adjust to each projects individual comfort level.

This is the first I have heard of them, look forward to your review once you have a chance to use it. The handle looks very nice. I want to order some tools from Thompson soon, and may consider this handle to go with them.

Congrats on the new tool Roger and the packing material! Look forward to hearing how it works for you.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Congrats on your new tool. Look forward to a review.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I've had the Serious Cam lock handle and 5/8" ultimate gouge for about a year now. Love the handle and the "quick change" capabilities. The gouge holds a nice edge, and it lasts quite a while before needing resharpened. The machining on the collets and handle is phenomenal.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Vincent 63 View Post
    I've had the Serious Cam lock handle and 5/8" ultimate gouge for about a year now. Love the handle and the "quick change" capabilities. The gouge holds a nice edge, and it lasts quite a while before needing resharpened. The machining on the collets and handle is phenomenal.

Joe
    Nice to hear that report Joe.......thanks for telling us the experience you've had with the Serious tools. What you have stated is pretty much what I expect to find also.

Added some charge to your battery Roger, now we can see

IMGP3789.jpg IMGP3788.jpg
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 12-28-2012 at 11:35 PM.
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    Added some charge to your battery Roger, now we can see

IMGP3789.jpg IMGP3788.jpg
    Thanks Leo! A little grainy in the pics now, but at least the idea comes across!