Thread: Benchtop Mortising Machine Question

Cool Benchtop Mortising Machine Question

I have been looking at some benchtop mortisers recently and there is something I don't seem to understand. Like many ww machines, many of these machines are very similar, so brand is probably not an important aspect of this, but I have been looking most closely at the Jet JBM-5. If I understand it correctly, the maximum workpiece height is 105mm, or slightly over 4". Now I make mostly decorateve boxes, and I know I will frequently need more height capacity than that even for my relatively small stock. And what about you furniture makers? 4"? I must not undersand this machine. Someone please educate me.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Glen, the capacity of my Delta is about the same, around 4 inches. I haven't had it a long time, but I have not yet had the need for more capacity. If I did, my mortiser came with a 2 inch "riser" block that I could install.

Also, many users have installed shop made riser blocks, under the base, to raise it up.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Just a thought.Before you buy,check out the General.I bought one a few years ago And I really like it.

That is ample for most frame joinery which is not on the end ...rather on the face or edge of a strecher or apron...Beyond that I chose another method, router, drill and chisel, etc.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Glen, the new delta (nr. 651 I think) comes with a 2" riser block.
    Dennis

Check out the Shop Fox mortiser. I've had one for several years and it has more capacity than most. I've set it up with a 6" cross sliding vise. It still has plenty of room and does a terrific job.
    Alan & Lynette Mikkelsen, Mountain View Farm Gardens & Fine Woodworking, St. Ignatius, MT. Visitors Welcome!

I have the Jet Mortiser with two riser blocks installed because I needed the extra height to use a cross sliding vise to hold the stock. You just need to use longer bolts. If I was in the market for a new one, I'd probably look at the newer Delta or the General. The Jet works fine but theres better available.

On most machines the head can swivel 90 or 180 degrees and can be mounted on a riser box for additional height in a pinch.

Richard

It is quite a bit more than a bench top mortiser....and IMO more than worth the difference:

I had 12 of these done within an hour of opening the box:

I opted for the FMT over a mortiser (benchtop or stationary) because of 3 main factors.

1. The pieces I make don't require monster sized mortise/tenon joinery - typical household furniture.

2. The FMT cuts both mortise and tenon in the same setup and very easily allows for multiple mortise/tenon joints.

3. I spend enough time sharpening my hand tools....I don't need to spend any more time sharpening hollow chisels.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Sproul
    It is quite a bit more than a bench top mortiser....and IMO more than worth the difference:

http://www.imageark.net/image.php?id=106963

I had 12 of these done within an hour of opening the box:

http://www.imageark.net/image.php?id=106967

I opted for the FMT over a mortiser (benchtop or stationary) because of 3 main factors.

1. The pieces I make don't require monster sized mortise/tenon joinery - typical household furniture.

2. The FMT cuts both mortise and tenon in the same setup and very easily allows for multiple mortise/tenon joints.

3. I spend enough time sharpening my hand tools....I don't need to spend any more time sharpening hollow chisels.
    Just curious as to what were you using the blue aluminum for? The clamp looks like it is in the way???
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ballent
    Just curious as to what were you using the blue aluminum for? The clamp looks like it is in the way???

The blue aluminum is some T-track....I needed a stop so I could rout mortises in identical locations on 3 legs.

The bottom rails (I get rail and stile mixed up all the time.......) are well above the bottom of the legs.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Sproul
    The blue aluminum is some T-track....I needed a stop so I could rout mortises in identical locations on 3 legs.

The bottom rails (I get rail and stile mixed up all the time.......) are well above the bottom of the legs.
    Oh I see said the blind man as he reached for his saw

Thanks for the clarification, from the pic I was not sure what was going on in there. Nice toy BTW I have been drooling over one of those for a while, just do not have a valid excuse to get one yet, but I'm working on it though, Oh hi honey
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood