Thread: Clear acrylic awards

Clear acrylic awards

Greetings!

Just about to do my first order of acrylic awards, and I'm having one of 'those' moments...
    Are these type of awards normally lasered from the front, or reversed and from the back? And does anyone have suggested power/speed settings? (can you tell I'm nervous!?)

Thanks in advance,
    Graham.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It is my practice to engrave from the back. Not all acrylics of the same model are of exactly the same dimension so measure all before you begin.

It would help if you'd list the equipment and power in your signature.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I don't think there is a right or wrong way. You just get a different look with each. Personally, I like engraving that type stuff from the back. But it really can be engraved from either side.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    It would help if you'd list the equipment and power in your signature.
    Quite right - I thought I'd done that but obviously not, so here it is. Thanks for the reminder!
    Epilog Helix 50W
    ez-Router 4'x8' CNC router
    Roland Versacamm VP-540 printer
    Gerber Edge II

Industry standard is to engrave on the back of the award.

The power settings are the same as cast acrylic so if you've ever engraved cast acrylic, the same power and speed should work just fine. On your machine I'd imagine 100 speed, 50 power would work. You also want to run at about 500/600dpi.

One last piece of advice, buy 1-2 extra pieces. It eats into your profit but if you make a mistake, it's not a big, huge issue, and then you can use that as a sample. As Mike suggested, the consistency can leave a lot to be desired. As a result, it's fairly easy to have things not line up as perfectly as you may want. On a symmetrical award like that one, you can mark the table with a center line and then use that to lineup the award. If your rulers are lined up properly, just doing a quick measurement can be just as effective. Still good to have a couple of extras for just in case.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

I engrave from the back and I also download the template for the award from the sellers site so it gives you a better idea how to lay it out. Be aware that the template and the award sometimes are a little different in size, print out the template and hold it up to the award to double check size. Also I lay a nice piece of felt down in the machine to prevent any type of contact scratches the award might get with touching the laser table. I just started doing awards in August and love to give and receive any help I can as I didn't have much help going in!!

Good luck!!
    Epliog Legend EXT 36x24 75 Watt
    Corel Draw x6
    Xenetech 16x25 rotary - use it everyday!!
    Mastercam X5 - Cam programmer/toolmaker in my former life

I use transfer paper or leave the protective covering on the down side. Either way you must protect it from scratches. If you do scratch it Novus polishes will bail you out.

On an award like that I would apply plastic pads to the base, polish it and put it in a clear bag before putting it in the gift box.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

As everyone said, engrave reverse on the back. I normally download the template or trace and scan and make my template. I put paper, the thickness of poster board into the laser and engrave my artwork and cut the template with the laser. Make sure you attach the paper with tape or magnet so that it cannot move. By doing this you can lay the acrylic directly into your template you cut to make sure your artwork is centered by looking through the acrylic. Also by laying the acrylic into your cutout template, the chances of engraving off center or up to high or low is slim to none.

Welcome to the Creek, That looks like a JDS Impress line. If so it is a great line of products, I sell quite a few.

If you really want to get ambicious.... I scan the odd shaped pieces, then import it into Corel. You can then
    draw a hairline around the perimeter. Vector that on a piece of scrap then position the piece to that and engrave.
    The fun comes when you size and position it, you can select "don't print" for that layer, then you can do the layout over it
    and send the simulation to the client for approval. That get them mosts the time as most shops don't go
    that far when the send layouts for approval.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!