Thread: 36" Router Table Extension Wing?

36" Router Table Extension Wing?

I am looking for a router extension wing for the right side of my Jet RT cabinet saw. It has the 7' rails and the existing MDF/melamine extension is 27" x 36".

The Benchdog ProMax Cast Iron Extension looks great, but it is only 27" x 16". What is the norm, daisy-chain a series of 16" extension wings? If so, what is the best resource for a blank wing? Alternatively, do you know of a good 27" x 36" ( or slightly longer) router table extension wing on the market?

I have two Jet cast Iron wings that I'm trying to sell. I'm no expert but you could drill out the holes for the router. Since they are Jet wings the mounting hole patterns may already line up.

I would guess most woodworkers make them; I know I did.

"Daisy chaining" two cast iron TS wings will cause sag.

Maybe fabricate a large/long plywood router table saw/extension wing with Formica on both sides to prevent warping? Then construction a stout table/cabinet to hold it and screw the cabinet/table to the TS/TS fence rails??

I did something similar for my Uni-saw with the 52" fence. Shop-built table from 2X4's and 3/4 ply with a 1/4 tempered Masonite for a top. I cut the legs about 1" short, then installed lag screws for levelers. Bolted it all to the fence rail. Since I have router table cabinet, there was no need to mount a router to it.

Blog Entries
    I have daisy-chained wings on the right of my saw and sag is no problem if you properly support them. I have Beisemeyer rails which are plenty stout and the far end is supported on a storage "pier". Cast iron is amazingly easy to drill (drill it dry) and I used 3/8" holes and 1/4" bolts to allow easy alignment. All that being said; if I did it a gain I would just frame a piece of 3/4" MDF to fill the gap. You still have to align it but, at least it is one big slab.

Good-overall-shot.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I used 3/4" MDF laminated with black formica. Looks great. Supported the cast iron router table top from below with cabinetry, and no sag, and great additional utility.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

So, MDF/laminate next to the TS, and the cast iron router wing on the end, both bolted to the fence rail. Should they be bolted to each other?

The existing laminate extension wing, which will be replaced by this, already has a set of legs attached. Does the Bench Dog provide attachment points for legs?

When I had my Unisaw, first I made a MDF/laminate/ply framed "bridge". That worked well and I made the bridge/filler piece so that it bolted to the saw on one side and the router table on the other side. I used another brand cast iron router table, but it was similar to the Benchdog and I just added legs to make the whole thing stable.

After a while of using that, I build a Norm style router table cabinet that incorporated the cast iron top and then just modified the bridge/filler piece so it all fit together. This set up also worked well.

On both my versions, I used a UniFence so I didn't have the steel rails like on other fences. That is why I overbuilt the bridge with a 3/4" x 4" ply frame and other supports and I found that to be strong enough.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Thompson View Post
    So, MDF/laminate next to the TS, and the cast iron router wing on the end, both bolted to the fence rail. Should they be bolted to each other?
    I did and would recommend it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler