Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hopeing to connect with Oneida V-2000 owners with wall mount setup

Hopeing to connect with Oneida V-2000 owners with wall mount setup

I am buying a DC. What I have used for years doesn't cut the mustard and is also getting old. I thought a portable was the way to go but after speaking to Mike at Oneida the V-2000 came up. My last machinery purchase, a Delta was a sad affair I won't repeat. If it's made in Tiawan I don't want it. Even a new Delta Unisaw made in the States. It is still owned the same group in China. Spending the money for a system that won't make me happy long into the future would make for another souring taste in my mouth.
    This unit might make my hobby in retirement a start to one Very Happy New Year. I have just the spot for the V-2000 and the ducting will make for a sweet run. I live in the Milwaukee WI area and would very much like to see the V-2000 or V-3000. Anyone near me have one? How about a reader of this with one contacting me and sharing your experiences and maybe photos.
    What is Oneida like as a company to deal with?
    I have seen DC’s in the forum and because the thread was dated there seemed no point trying to get a reply so I started my own.
    New Years is close at hand and I heard as I composed this that sorry bunch in Washington got down to work at last and in the witching hour all shook hands. The lobbyist will be ticked.
    Happy New Year
    Tom

Tom,
    Happy new year(although I've got about 2 hrs to go being on the left coast)

I have a V3000. Couldn't be happier. I know Grizzly and Clearvue also make excellent units, but this is what I went with. My shop is in a 3 car garage about 600 sq.ft and I used 6" PVC ducting. This was an upgrade from an older Powermatic bagger and there is no comparison.

I have plenty of pics on my picasa page here:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/dmshops...ustCollection#

Best of luck with what ever you decide.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 01-01-2013 at 9:04 AM.
    Dick Mahany.

Another V3000 owner here, purchased mine this fall. I haven't even hooked up all of the duct work yet-I've run the lines to the major machines and capped the rest of the runs for now. Mine is equipped like Dick's, with the overflow sensor and the air filter monitor, although I did get the larger drum and stand to get the unit mounted up higher. I'm using snap-lock pipe from Oneida and blast gates from Lee Valley. I'm very pleased with mine so far, and for the most part I'm pleased with the customer service I received from Oneida.

Blog Entries
    Wow, Mr. jones, that is some kind of shop. I now have an official case of shop envy.

I have the 2 hp Super Dust Gorilla, and while I tout it's ability to do a great job, I now wish I had spent the extra few bucks to go with the 3 hp version. If you stick with the V-2000 (2 hp) you really ought to consider installing a 7" main line (as I did) unless you have very short runs in your duct. If you go with PVC duct, I would definitely step up to the V-3000 to get that extra few inches of suction to compensate for losses in 6" vs 7" pipe so you can get 800-1000 cfm to your major machines. 6" pipe has nearly twice the pressure loss of 7" pipe.

I tried looking at the fan curves of the various Oneida units, but found a mish-mash of data, conflicting fan curves, no fan curves only bits and pieces of data, same as all of the other cyclone folks. I don't understand why a company like Oneida doesn't do what the pump manufacturers do and that is to have a master graph showing all of their unit's fan curves on one chart so you can select and compare units with one another. A chart stating how they did the test, and make sure they are all tested under the same conditions. And the chart should go from maximum static pressure at no flow to max flow. Heck, even if they just gave the static pressure available at, say, 800 cfm a typical need for many single machines, it would be a great improvement.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 01-01-2013 at 1:39 PM.

V3000 wall mounted

IMG_0116.JPGIMG_0114.jpgIMG_0115.JPG

I have a first generation V3000 and the wall mount bracket is the weakest part. I had to add some steel to triangulate it so that it doesn't sag. I also added vibration dampers to limit sound transmission to the wall.

I have a 2 hp cyclone, and wish I had gone with 3 hp when I bought it. Can't imagine needing 5 hp, but might be great. Bigger is better with dust collection. That Jones shop is just too clean! Can't be just the cyclone.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    I have a first generation V3000 and the wall mount bracket is the weakest part. I had to add some steel to triangulate it so that it doesn't sag. I also added vibration dampers to limit sound transmission to the wall.
    I really like your idea. I wanted to do a wall mount, but went with the free standing option as I figured I might need to reconfigure my layout. I have read that the wall mount can add to sound transmission, but dont have any first hand objective info. Since I'm now pretty sure of my final layout, and my shop is in my attached garage, do you think there would be any increase to transmitted noise levels, to my house, or my neighboring home if I went to a wall mount?
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-02-2013 at 8:36 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tagging
    Dick Mahany.

Dick
    From what I know about sound transmission isolated seperate walls with insolation are the way to go. The cinder block may just deaden the vibrations attinuate them so they say over a short distance. A frame structure acts like a drum. That is why two adjorning apartments do not have common walls. Though some noise still gets through like at my elderly moms when her neighbors next door slamb the bathroom cabinet doors but voices and plumbing not.
    Tom

Blog Entries
    I was able to bolt my DC to a poured concrete basement wall with 3/8" redhead bolts. No vibration problems.

Thank you one and all

Thanks for your responses to date. It is nice to hear from you all. Great shops one and all. I have a smaller space to work today with and a bunch of tools mostly Delta Rockwell from the 1940’s a friend had one day to get out of his basement before the closing. So I gave him the $500 he wanted, took all the original documentation to my van, grabbed my tool box and took everything apart and loaded up. 10” Unisaw, 6”jointer, 6” belt sander, 14” drill press and 10” wet grinder. I only needed one new motor the dog from years ago ruined. I already had the original portable 10” tablesaw the Makita 2711 , a Makita 410 dust collector and a 14” Extender Delta band saw. Since then I added a Hegner 18” scroll saw anda Delta 21” scroll saw that is up for sale for a good price. So when it comes to how big is too big of a DC well the layout and math will tell the tail. I can afford to get the system from Oneida, lay out my shop once and for all and let them size the ducting and get my fee back. I have set my top dollar and will stick to it. This project is a challenge and a worthy one. My shop gets a proper reorganization in the process. I will close up my Unisaw and put a Shark Guard over the blade. Everything else will get proper shrouds and I will have lots of fun doing it. I will get to do this again one day in a larger space and do not want to startover with another DC.
    I also buy American. Being a Vet and not welcome home in California where I was born and grew up after Vietnam. I love my country, I was a volunteer when my number was up. Nothing can change the past but the young men and women today are for the most part much better off. The V.A. today is ready for them. I was homeless for 5 years until I moved to Wisconsin. I was into silence, solitude and the surfing.
    Happy 2013
    Tom

Blog Entries
    Tom, welcome to the Creek. I am so sorry to hear of your unwelcome return from Nam. That really sucks, big time. We owe so much to our vets. I bet you took Jane Fonda off your Christmas card list. At least the surfing part sounds good.

Tom,

I served from '68-'76. Thank you for your service.

I bought a Oneida Super Gorilla 3 HP. It's worked well for my shop. The people at Oneida were great! When I indicated a small disatisfaction with the charge for engineering my ductwork, they went out of their way to please me.

My DC is wall mounted on 2x6 constructed walls insulated with R-19. I have one neighbor who lives within 50' of my shop and she has never complained. The DC can barely be heard outside the shop with the windows and doors shut.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-02-2013 at 2:42 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Guy's
    I did not mean to be misleading. I inlisted and got my induction notice in boot camp. US Goast Guard. I was there in the CG because of some friends older brothers that talked me out of enlisting in the Army. They knew me and knew christian beliefs and there was the thou shall not kill commandment. Two of them gave all. A cat has only so many lives. I had been hazed in bootcamp sticking up for some filippino fellow recruits. I went on to 18 month's on a search and rescue 82" Patrol boat. Ever see the movie Overboard with Curt Russell and Goldie Hawn? I was there in Feb. 1972. My chief put me in for avionics school and on to Hawaii to be a search and rescue air crew. Like in boot camp I was hazed for standing up for my beliefs, and that was the end of flight status. I was one angry young man. Friends gone people on the Waikiki oblivious to the troubled world we lived in and the guys I worked with consuming great quantities of pot. I would have been beter off in nam. The guys I served with were jerks.

I left California and never told anyone I served again. Never to be let go with a "just get rid of that guy. But boss he gets the gob done, shows up on time and we all like him". I was clean cut, well dressed but truthfull. I had told the world to go to hell on Memorial Day but no one wanted to find out why. Not even the V.A.

The truth and war makes me so sad. I served during the era but not "in country". They were and are still are my brothers and are not heavy. I do what I can. We have a good V.A. here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I tried looking at the fan curves of the various Oneida units, but found a mish-mash of data, conflicting fan curves, no fan curves only bits and pieces of data, same as all of the other cyclone folks. I don't understand why a company like Oneida doesn't do what the pump manufacturers do and that is to have a master graph showing all of their unit's fan curves on one chart so you can select and compare units with one another. A chart stating how they did the test, and make sure they are all tested under the same conditions. And the chart should go from maximum static pressure at no flow to max flow. Heck, even if they just gave the static pressure available at, say, 800 cfm a typical need for many single machines, it would be a great improvement.
    That would be great if they did that, and if they all used the same methods to test!
    I couldn't find what size the impellers were on the V2000 and V3000, so I called. It took CS a while, but reported that it was 13" and 14.25" (or was it 14.5"? I don't remember, but it was one of them.) I decided to go with the Grizzly 3hp that is 15.5". I like the Oneida's 13a motor a whole lot more than Grizzly's 22a, but decided it was 13a because it was driving such a small impeller. I don't know if I am right; but the amps, impeller size and fan curve all all the same as Grizzly's 2hp.

Wish me good luck, they are supposed to ship tomorrow. I don't want to sound negative on Oneida; I owned a 1.5hp Portable a few years ago before deciding it was too small; it worked well.

Did you verify the amp draw with Grizzly? Their 5 hp motor draws 22.4 amps and I've never seen a 3 hp even close to that in draw. The 15.5" impeller is large but likely the filter restriction keeps the cfm down as well as the amps. The impeller design must either have less depth or have a different curve or it would burn out the motor if a true 3 hp and used with 8" pipe. The specs show about 500 cfm less at 2" than the 5 hp 16" unit and the max SP is about the same so it may be that the 3hp is mislabeled rather than the amp draw. Dave