Thread: Part file design services

Part file design services

Looking at jumping into CNC by purchasing a shopbot desktop or stinger.

I am very well versed in computers, not so much in 3d modeling or using Corel/Autocad or CAD.

Are there services available that will design the part file for you to get things rolling and money coming in the door?

Go to the Vectric web site and download the trial version of Vcarve Pro Or Aspire. Also go to the tutorials and learn how to use the software.

I bet a post on a shopbot or cammaster forums will get you a bunch of folks who woul dhelp. Many pros out there too but I also use vectric software and have not had the need for anything advanced beyond my skills done for my parts. CNCZone may have folks offering services too.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I'm also well versed in computers and had some 3D experience and quite a bit of 2D graphics background (desktop publishing, drawing, bitmaps). Without a solid business plan, you are going to find making money pretty challenging. I bought a machine last Feb and didn't start making any money for several months. When I say "making" money, I mean I started selling things - profit is another thing entirely. Overall it will be a large business loss this year which is what I expected given this is a part time venture and the large initial investment. This is not a quick turnaround profit business. If you want to do that, you would be better off doing sales for others that are creating products.

If you have to pay someone to draw the parts or come up with your idea, that is going to be tough. If you are cutting on the machine you are going to want to be intimate with your part, the best way to do this is to make it your self and understand the cutting paths. Also, you will need to generate toolpaths and file conversion of 2D and 3D objects can be troublesome. On the other hand, if you have very specific products/parts in mind and a plan to market them, then your plan could work. You have to figure out your real objective - is it just making money or is it something that will hold your interest and play a role in your work for the long term (and also make money). If you have a specific product in mind, you would be better off having someone design it and cut it for you. What I like about trying new products is that you can design and create them without having to have someone create hundreds of them only to find out they won't sell.

I started a business after buying a CNC. I believe most buy them to provide more capability to operations they are already doing (whether it be hobby or a business). I'm an engineer so this is a combination business / learning experience for the long term. Luckily my day job pays for this so far but I'm hoping someday to be out on my own.

If you want to discuss, please PM me, or just look up my website and call my business number. I'd be glad to share my recent experience with you.
    CAMaster Cobra X3 408 w/Recoil
    BobCAD V25
    Corel Draw X5

Precision Sign and Post
    Windham, NH

Alot will depend on the software you buy and the type of work you plan to do. To me, out of all the software, vectric is the easiest to use and learn and within a matter of hours you could be up and making 2d parts. There are many free parts for 2d that people offer. As far as 3d that is another situation. There are models you can buy to run the toolpaths. Some are reasonably priced (around the $25 range). That is usually the route I take, because to me time is money and why spend 3 hours creating something when I can get it for $25. Vectric also offers a 3d program free to run their models only. Which is a cheaper way to get into 3d. You can get vcarve pro which is cheaper than aspire, use the free 3d program to run their models, import the toolpaths into vcarve pro and do the model. Alot of ways to go.

Bob

As Jerome stated go to the Vectric website there are a lot of tutorials .... Operating the CNC IS easy, designing your own parts is another matter.
    Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking