Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stones from Stu...

Stones from Stu...

OK...I'm pretty excited. I just got my order for waterstones from Stu @ toolsfromjapan.com. Now, keep in mind, this little "review" of mine here will be from a veritable novice (at best) in the world of hand sharpening...but I wanted to share my initial impressions nonetheless.

First off, let me tell you about my sharpening journey thus far...

When it comes to sharpening my chisels and plane irons, I started out with cheap oilstones. I had no idea what I was doing. I thought it was messy and too much trouble and...well...gave up.

I then went to sandpaper on glass. I followed that up with compound on a cotton wheel on my bench grinder. I got "pretty good" results, but I wasn't too thrilled with how quickly I used up my sandpaper and the hassles it was to get the adhesive off the glass.

So...I picked up a WorkSharp. That was a tad faster and the results seemed even a little better, but...I still had the issue of sandpaper usage (and this time it was even more difficult to come by economical replacements). Besides that...how can I explain it...I felt less in control of the sharpening process with the WS. I wasn't getting the same "feel" that I was before. Kind of like the difference between handplaning and power sanding stock.

Not to bash the WS system, mind you...it works well...that was just my observations.

Then I got my hands on some used King waterstones. I again felt more "in control". And I liked the results. I did, however, quickly noticed what many had mentioned about the "softness" of the Kings. I also knew that they are pretty much "entry level". I did use them enough, however, to know that this "waterstone thing" was the way I wanted to go.

Anyway...guys here kept talking about this fella named Stu in Japan. That immediately caught my attention...mostly because I never met anyone from Japan named Stu before.

I started reading what guys were saying about him. And I read his posts. To be honest, I initially thought him to be abrasive (OK...normally I hate puns, but you have to admit that was a good one). But I came to see him as very knowledgable...and extremely passionate.

Suffice to say, I liked him.

I read here recommendations for his "special set": http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store/...oducts_id=1667

Man, that would be a HUGE investment for me. I thought long and hard about it. I got to where I was checking it nearly everyday to see if the dollar/yen exchange rate was in my favor more than the previous day in hopes that it might push me over the edge one way or the other. To be honest, the shipping alone scared the crap out of me. Not just the cost, but the idea of having something THAT expensive travel THAT far.

I still remember the moment that I…no kidding…closed my eyes and clicked “finalize” on my order. And then I held my breath and waited…

They came yesterday. I forgot to mention that along with the “special set”, I also ordered the Sigma #400. I figured that if I was going to make the investment now that I might as well get what I wanted and save a little on shipping. Anyway…my initial impressions are these:

He sent them in 3 boxes. I was immediately impressed with how well he packaged everything. Some of the best packaging, in fact, that I have encountered in my mail orders. The boxes looked as though they had just come from across town, instead of across the world. And though the $50+ that I paid for shipping stung a bit, it was still a tad cheaper that it would have cost me to go get them (from Japan). And they wouldn’t have arrived in any better shape than they did.

The next thing that impressed me was what was in the boxes. Yes, the waterstones were cool. Quite a bit bigger that my Kings. Then there was the neat Atoma…and the nifty stone holder…but I was expecting all of that. What I didn’t expect was a couple of bottles of loose grit (to help flatten the Sigma 400) along with a little water bottle. I know that that in and of itself is no real big deal, but…to be honest…in today’s economy, you don’t very often see anybody just throw stuff in. Especially when that “insignificant” stuff probably meant packing a third box…and costing him more on shipping.

Suffice to say, I am very happy with my purchase. If and when I need anything else, I will definitely not hesitate to buy from Stu again. In fact…the next time…I will click “complete” with my eyes wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    To be honest, I initially thought him to be abrasive
    Start talking about stones and he does get pretty excited. I have a king 8k on the way from stu, sort of an archival thing, first stone I ever used that really made everything sharp. The newer stones are definitely capable of going a step further.

The shipping separately is a product of the japanese postal system. Less than 2kg is pretty inexpensive for air service. More than that is very expensive. It probably would've cost more to put them all together than it did ship them separately.

Enjoy the set. They're very good.

Thanks for the quick review....I just shut my eyes and hit the "finalize" button on the "special" set today. This is my first sharpening set and, from my conversations with Stu, I am completely confident in the choice I made in ordering them. I can't wait until the day mine arrive!

The Sigma 13k is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Yes, Stu is a great guy, and his stuff is marvelous. Just a pitty the Euro is down the drain, and our customs charge such a hefty import tax. I would really enjoy some more of the fabulous Koyamaichi chisels and another Sigma stone or two.

Blog Entries
    Stu is very knowledgeable about sharpening. I trust his judgement a great deal.

He's also very generous with his time. He's never failed to patiently answer a question, and give sound advice.

You're right about how well he packs things Harold. I commented on that to him one time and he said he has the packing down to an art. He does.

PHM

Yes! +1. Stu is a great guy to buy from. Very willing to share his time and answer all ones questions. His products are excellent. Its been a pleasure to get to know him a bit here on the SMC.

You will continue to be very happy with your stones. You're totally set!
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

The 1K-6K-13K is a *wonderful* set of stones. I am glad Stu steered me away from the Sigma Select II stones and to those, to be honest.

I did end up getting a Select II 240 from Stu, and yes, that puppy does chew up A2 like it's no one's business. My sharpening time has gone from about 30 minutes a chisel with my Nortons to around 10 with the Sigmas.

My dad bought the 400 for rough work, and I decided to get the Select II 240. While Stu was right that it's overkill for A2 steel, it is nowhere near a bad overkill IMHO. The Norton 220 I had previously dished and was a hunk of crud compared to the 240 Stu sent. As I said in a review on Tools from Japan, that thing is a monster.

Anyway, I digress. All awesome stones, and Stu is an A+ guy to deal with.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

I told Stu that I was going to sharpen PM-V11, A2 and O1 as well as random vintage stuff. I also said that I would buy whatever he recommended. He said buy that "special" set - and I did. I am very​ happy. Stu's reputation deservedly grows - and I hope his business.

+1. That's the set I got, as well. Since then I've added a couple more of his water stones. Stu is "da man!"

I also bought stones from Stu. Great stones and a great guy. I love his attitude. A lot like mine.
    I have found that you should not use the Atoms 4000 on course stones. It wears it out faster. I used mine on a Shapton Pro 320.
    Now the plate does not work as well. Use the grit or an old diamond stone to flatten your 400.
    I use an old Diaflat 320. This stone is taking a toll on the plate. Nice cutting and HARD stone.
    I leave a little slurry on my 400 and it cuts great on all steels I have. Great stone.
    The Woodworking Hermit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Cruea View Post
    I also bought stones from Stu. Great stones and a great guy. I love his attitude. A lot like mine.
    I have found that you should not use the Atoms 4000 on course stones. It wears it out faster. I used mine on a Shapton Pro 320.
    Now the plate does not work as well. Use the grit or an old diamond stone to flatten your 400.
    I use an old Diaflat 320. This stone is taking a toll on the plate. Nice cutting and HARD stone.
    I leave a little slurry on my 400 and it cuts great on all steels I have. Great stone.
    Yeah, I wasn't going to use the Atoma on the 400. I was going to relagate my DMT 325 to that task.

While on the subject. What is the recommended method for flattening 400 grit stones and lower? I've used my DMT x-coarse on my Chosera 400 a few times and it has really mellowed it out. I actually like where the DMT is at for flattening my 1000-10000 grit stones right now but am afraid that it will be useless if I continue to use this on the 400. I am not about to delegate a diamond stone just for the 400 and watch it get worn out before long. And I really hate the sandpaper method. The loose grit is something I've never tried on stones. What is needed for this method and is it easy enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    While on the subject. What is the recommended method for flattening 400 grit stones and lower? I've used my DMT x-coarse on my Chosera 400 a few times and it has really mellowed it out. I actually like where the DMT is at for flattening my 1000-10000 grit stones right now but am afraid that it will be useless if I continue to use this on the 400. I am not about to delegate a diamond stone just for the 400 and watch it get worn out before long. And I really hate the sandpaper method. The loose grit is something I've never tried on stones. What is needed for this method and is it easy enough?
    I'll be interested in the answers to this too. I was actually planning to get a nice thick piece of glass for the grit. You could probably use granite as well.

Of course, there's always the cinder block...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    Loose grit on flat surface, concrete block, coarse wet and dry (like 60 grit), sidewalk, ..