Thread: Delta Bandsaw 28-682 (18 inch) opinions?

Delta Bandsaw 28-682 (18 inch) opinions?

DELTA 28-682 Bandsaw

I see one for sale locally on CL. 5 years old, excellent condition. I need to upgrade my BS for resaw capacity (need 10 inch vs current 6 inch). The delta looks like a decent BS, but i'm skeptical when a company stops making certain products. From what I see, delta doesn't offer much in the badsaw category anymore. That raises some red flags about whether it was a great product, getting replacement parts in future, current product support if something goes wrong, etc. But I also know some great products get discontinued. I don't know if this delta BS is the former or the latter.

Anyone have experience with this product and can offer some pros/cons of it? Ease of use? (blade changes, tension adjust, setting blade guides, table tilt, fence system, etc.)

My intended use is hobby. I don't really need an 18 inch BS, but sometimes it's nice to have for one-off projects that i'd otherwise have to "borrow" a friends BS for. I do however, NEED resaw capacity over my current 6 inches with my current Rikon 14 inch BS, but I know I can get that with a smaller BS like the Rikon 14 inch deluxe model.

My gut is telling me that the Delta is overkill and it may be a hassle in the long-run (parts, service, etc) and I should be patient and scan CL for a smaller BS that gets me the > 6 inch resaw.

any insight appreciated.
    Last edited by Craig Behnke; 12-28-2012 at 1:53 PM. Reason: corrected model #

Did you make a typo on the model number?
    The Delta 28-262 is a 14" bandsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rosenberger View Post
    Did you make a typo on the model number?
    The Delta 28-262 is a 14" bandsaw.
    YES! I did make a mistake, it's a Delta 28-682. Thanks for catching that for me.

Thanks for the link Gus. I had already seen/read that post and given how old it was, I was trying to get some more recent input. I was hoping that I'd see some commentary that the guide issues mentioned were later resolved by Delta or that Carter was making guides for that model, etc.

From what I can gather, the model was discontinued a few yrs ago, carter doesn't make guides for it, and not many people wound up buying this model (relative to other currently popular models). I don't know if it was because it was a poor performer (relative to other models available) or if it was just a Delta business decision. I'm not certain, but given the issues, i'm going to pass on the BS.

I found this site www.bandsawparts.com . They are selling aftermarket blade guide kits . Hope that helps.

Is there a riser block kit available for the Rikon?

The site is not showing that they have parts for Rikon. I think they don't have.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus Dundon View Post
    I found this site www.bandsawparts.com . They are selling aftermarket blade guide kits . Hope that helps.
    Because the Rikon is a steel box arm design instead of the Delta's cast-iron, I don't believe it is possible to add a riser. I have the Rikon 14" deluxe, which is also the steel box design and has a 13" resaw capacity. For a large resaw capacity you might be better off with an 18" saw, even if you had to add a riser.