Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rough cut black walnut value

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Masshardt View Post
    Thanks again.

I should take my moisture meter to it but I'm pretty sure it's dry to work with. It's been years stacked inside with spacers and a halfway decemt amount of airflow. I believe he's already built tables etc with this wood.
    Nothing wrong with that. Just let the potential buyers know that it is strictly air dried. That way, you are covered and they will be advised.

Good luck with your sales.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Thanks Cody. I like the Jim Elliot quote in your signature line too. :-)

Where might you be located at Dan? Perhaps some Creekers are interested...

$3 is fair. $1 is way too cheap for black walnut that is air dried. $1 is about what you pay for low grade 4/4 pine at the Box Stores. Some people here occasionally get great deals, but that is not the "market". Do her right. Stand on $3, and you are giving local woodworkers a good deal.

Go on the Internet and check out black walnut prices. You won't find much if any for $3 from the sawmills that offer it for sale.

I am in lewisberry pa (17339). It is close to Harrisburg and about 90 mins north of Baltimore.

I will post here in an appropriate place first. Meanwhile if anybody reading this has immediate interest, let me know.

Would not this wood be worth considerably more if you planed it? Novice woodworkers have trouble seeing what is under the rough surface. Of course you should do a pass or 2 through the jointer before surfacing, and I would only surface to where it cleans up. 7/8" would be great.

Jim - the difference in appearance of this walnut rough vs planed is night and day.

I could joint / plane a dozen boards and offer them at a higher price I guess. At the least it would give an idea what the wood is like. Probably would open the market up. There are people with a table saw wanting to build stuff that don't have equip to plane.

Ultimately the wood is worth what one pays for it. I have been to many auctions around here attended by lots of woodworkers where they were selling air dried hardwoods for far less than $1 a foot. Much of it depends on your fortune of finding interested buyers. You won't be doing anyone a favor if you price it to where it doesn't sale. The market will let you know if you set the price too high or too low.

You are right Rich! I always adjust prices to the market.

I listed some of this stuff at $2 / ft before and had a good amount of interest in substantial quantities so I think I could sell for that anyway after giving $3 a try.

I love auctions. Unfortunately I can't always seem to find what I want available at an auction when I want it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Masshardt View Post
    You are right Rich! I always adjust prices to the market.
    And the SMC 'market', is often different than the general 'market' for your area. (at least in my experience) Sometimes good, sometimes bad, always a function of whether you are buying or selling.

Let us know what your experience is! (a little too far to drive for me)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post

the $1 a bd. ft. sounds reasonable as it's also about what kiln dried goes for at auctions around here.
    Hi Jeff,

Since we are in the same area, I would be interested to learn of the auctions where I can pick up KD walnut at $1/bf.