Thread: Plug-in fluorescent fixtures

Plug-in fluorescent fixtures

Any recommendations on reasonable cost T8 4 foot plug-in fixtures? I don't want to break the bank, but want something that doesn't have a ballast that will poop the bed in a year either.

thanks, Jake

Recently had my shop built and am working on the inside. I bought 4 T8 fixtures at HD. They had pretty good reviews. It's a 4 tube fixture with a wire bulb guard and electronic ballast for about $47 each. Flip the switch, and they instantly come on, no flickering. So far I am very pleased with the purchase. Below is a pic of the fixture. Hope this helps you out...Stan
    157-copy.gif
    My wife says that I've never met a tool I haven't liked. People on the other hand......

Seems as if florescent fixtures always need maintenance. I know operating costs must be factored in and I have never done a study but I have been installing some porcine screw in bulbs. It sure is simple and cheap initially.

I've got 5 of these:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lights-of-America-4-Shoplight-Stainless-Steel/19232395

Mine are white not stainless so they cost about $14 plus bulbs. I have many CFL's too and I think they give slightly more light per dollar.

No cold weather problems on either type but the CFL's take a minute to get get bright. However my shop never gets below 42F in our coldest temps.

I used a combination of the 4' two bulb, and 8' four bulb Lithonia T-8 fixtures from Home Depot. IIRC 27.00 and 45.00 respectively. I had one 8' that hummed, and swapped it out under warranty. I got my bulbs from Business Lights dot com. This I think is the model: http://www.businesslights.com/ushio-...p-case-25.html I've been very pleased with them.
    If you haven't read through Jack Lindsey's article here at the Creek on lighting, now would be a good time. Go here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/content....y-Jack-Lindsey If you don't have Microsoft Excel to use the calculator that Ken posts in the comment section at the bottom, download the Open Office Suite in the net, that's what I use and it opens it just fine. Good luck with your lighting!!! Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 01-03-2013 at 9:07 PM. Reason: knew that spelling didn't look right...
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I am using the same 4 bulb 4 ft T8's from HD that Sam shows above. I have had them for a little less than a year and they work great - work in hot and cold, instant on, no flickering, good light output, etc...

Mike

I've been eyeing those same lights fr my shop but have been wondering it they'll block my AM and FM radio reception in the shop, especially since I'm wanting to add about 15 of them. Has anyone here tried a radio around them? I'd hate to buy and install $750 worth of fluorescent fixtures only to immediately want to replace them.

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

I didn't like the units where instead of tombstones, they use the molded plastic end-caps with the bulb socket molded in. I was able to easily twist the fixture quite a bit (maybe 1/2" over its length). Just seemed too flimsy. I wanted more steel.

I ended up with Metalux (Cooper) from Mills Fleet Farm for about $25 each.

These:
    http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...t/_182536.html

They aren't as sturdy as the old T-12 units I was replacing, though. And I have no idea how long the ballasts will last. I don't run them a ton, though.

Just noticed, you asked for plug in...the ones I got are not that style, but you could add a pigtail and strain relief/cable clamp to make them work. I did have some radio reception issues after the light installation (Old car stereo unit). My cure was to mount my existing car antenna outside the shop instead of hanging on the wall by the radio and all noise quit. And my reception improved 600%! Win/win for me! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

As long as it works, Jim.. Good idea!! :-)
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Blog Entries
    It may be due to our mild temperature swings but, I have been running 15 of the $18, 2 x T8-lamp, electronic ballast fixtures from Lowe's (sold under the Utilitech brand) for 7 years without problem number one. I've been through a few lamps but, that varies with duty cycle and so forth; the ones that get flipped on almost every time I walk in the shop have gone out twice, others are yet to be replaced. I run Philips lamps. The fixtures are cheap and flimsy but, they continue to run and once hung, I only touch them again via the pull chains or to change bulbs as described so this is moot. They have been very satisfactory despite the low cost.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler