Thread: Wedding toast from the best man

Wedding toast from the best man

I'm looking for some tips on writing a toast for my buddys wedding in a few weeks. I have some ideas in mind but would be interested in hearing any excellent or terrible toasting ideas that you all may have. (The excellent so I know what to say and the terrible so I know what not to say).

Thanks in advance,

Erin

I was the best man for my brother-in-law. I basically wrote how I watched him grow from a boy to a man and pointed out how his character changed and how I admired him...Plus threw in some funny stuff about how goofy he was. I also told of things I knew about the bride and then capped it off with how much I endorsed the marriage and how I expected to them to try despite the inevitable hardships to come and how proud I was of both of them.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Just write from the heart. That is the best advice I can give you. In my buddy's wedding I couldn't come up with anything for a week. That morning I just hit a roll and wrote what I was told was a wonderful speech. The content was much like John's.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

The best 1 I ever heard included wishing the couple the best of LUCK.

L = Love

U= understanding

C= caring

K= kindness

With all 4 of the above any couple can survive anything.
    My goal in life is to be the man my dog thinks I am.

Ditto the above, and at the conclusion, ask the Groom to place his right hand on top of his Brides right hand and end by saying " I want all present here to witness that this will be the last time (Grooms name) will have the upper hand." Cheers!

I gave my buddy and his new bride a short but sweet one:

"I will celebrate my fifth wedding anniversary in a few days [pause for some applause, say thank you], and in that time I have learned a lot but will pass on one simple but powerful piece of advice:

When you get in a fight [pause for laughter]...and you will [pause again for more laughter]...let the other one win."

That was it for mine and I handed over the mic to the next person. I could see they both sat there thinking just a bit about what I said and then broke out into smiles and laughter.

Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

You can probably put this in the terrible idea category, but the one and only time I have been best man at a wedding me and the groomsmen loaded up with toasted bread and chucked it at the couple when the time for the toast arrived. Someone (not me, I have terrible aim) knocked the bride in the side of the head with a particularly hard piece. You woudn't think a piece of toast would leave a red mark on a head but it will.

Thanks for the ideas, I hope to write a rough draft this weekend. I may post it here to get some feedback. Hopefully it flows quickly and I can get back to the other chores.

Gentleman Jack's website has some great tips on toasting.
    http://www.gentlemanjack.com/graces/toasts.asp

May the only troubles you have be the little ones running around the house.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.