Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gnomes - thanks Mike Pounders!

Gnomes - thanks Mike Pounders!

Thanks to Mike Pounder's five minute gnome tutorial that was featured in the Lumberjocks newsletter, I began carving a few of these a couple of weeks ago.

These are two inches high and made from Alder, scraps of which are plentiful in the cabinet shop. I've found some Basswood recently, but have yet to carve any!

And just today, I sold the Viking to my dental hygenist.

Gnome2Front.jpgGnome2FrontLeft.jpgGnome2RightFront.jpgGnome2RightRear.jpg
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

This was the very first one

This was the first gnome I carved with the assistance of Mike's tutorial. I burned in the details with my new Patriot Pro 2000. I wasn't happy with the look of these whiskers, so I extended them up to the cheekbones after I took the picture. I colored this with Sharpies since I have no acrylic paint. And it took me considerably more time than five minutes!

GnomeLeftFront.jpgGnomeRightRear.jpgGnomeRightFront.jpgGnomeLeft.jpg
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

And of course, a Santa Claus!

SantaRight.jpgSantaLeft.jpgSantaFrontRight.jpgSantaFront2.jpgGnomeLeftFront2.jpg

And yes, Sharpie does make silver and gold markers!
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

I was so inpsired....

I was so inspired by these fun carvings I decided to make a viking gnome. Of course I envisioned him not quite so thin at first... perhaps I should make more of these- some a little more friendly and round. Anyway, I was encouraged by my first attempts with the woodburner that I may have gotten a bit carried away on this one. It is highly detailed by my new woodburner. But it put money in my pocket today. My first carving sale!

VikingFront.jpgVikingLeftfront.jpgVikingLeft.jpgVikingBack.jpgVikingRight.jpgVikingRightRear.jpgVikingRightfront.jpg
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Wizard!

And I've simply got to make more of these guys! What fun!

WizardLeftFacebook.jpgWizardFrontFacebook.jpg

Well that's all for now. I've got a few more in the works, but figured some of you might enjoy these. And thanks again Mike! I sure have enjoyed these.
    Last edited by Jim Underwood; 01-03-2013 at 9:23 PM.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Thanks to Mike Cruz for the review on this thing

And just so no one can say, "no pix didn't happen", here's my woodburner gloat:

Woodburner.jpg

Note the little guy has a full set of whiskers now!
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Those turned out great! The viking is really cool. They are fun and simple, but you find yourself improving each one and adding other little details. My latest ones have skinny legs and I 've started adding pointy ears. Starting to look like an army on my shelf!

I find the most difficult part of these are the arms.

You?
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Very cool! I kinda' think you're having some fun here.
    The Woodworking Studio

Looks like a fun way to make a chess set.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

Anyone care to post a link to the article? I wouldn't mind trying that and possibly carving a chess set for my brother.

Thanks for sharing that. I'm just getting back into carving and caricature is my favorite.

Stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

+1 - I'd like to get this for the wifey to have a look at, Please & Thank You!

hi

If you google "five minute gnome tutorial" you will get a google+ result that is in effect one of those Picasso photo collections. The link is https://plus.google.com/photos/10373...r=pwa&sqi&sqsi. If I am not supposed to post direct links please remove and excuse.