Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Building my shop

That really sucks. The bright side is that I have been reading this thread thinking, "I would like to do this project, but would have messed something up by now." You have restored my self-confidence.

Seriously... I hope you find a good solution.

BTW... I have two sons and feel your pain. They are good kids, but sometimes I think they take their brains out of their skulls and play basketball with them.
    Last edited by Steve Keathley; 02-14-2013 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Keathley View Post
    That really sucks. The bright side is that I have been reading this thread thinking, "I would like to do this project, but would have messed something up by now." You have restored my self-confidence.

Seriously... I hope you find a good solution.

BTW... I have two sons and feel your pain. They are good kids, but sometimes I think they take their brains out of their skulls and play basketball with them.
    I kind of ragged on my son about it, but he calmly said, "I was just the delivery guy." I agreed. It wasn't his responsibility to convey instructions. I should of had written instructions and a MSDS, too. This stuff is so smelly, I had to don my respirator.

BTW, they gave my wife instructions and MSDS on the order she obtained this afternoon.

Finished the floor Saturday. After reading the written instructions that the salesman gave my wife when she bought the second batch of topcoat (which I did not get on the first application) I applied the primer on Friday and the top coat Saturday with a squeegee (as stated in the instructions). Man, was it easier. I think it took me 30 minutes to do the remaining 800sqft.

Anyway the floor looks great. Too bad 2/3 of it will probably delaminate in in a couple of years. This would have been so easy if I just had received the instructions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I bought my lights Saturday after finishing the floor and returning the unused floor sealer. Paid $39ea at Lowes for 8' four bulb T8 fixtures. I purchased 6500K bulbs which is daylight. Is that number too high? I could have bought cool white, but I figured the bluish tint wouldn't work well in a wood shop setting.

Got the lights up. Built the bathroom and ran the plumbing. Getting close to being done.

Used the lumber from the wrecked concrete forms for framing. Need to get a door and paint the bathroom. I'll do that next week.

I hung 15 eight foot T8 fixtures at 12' high. I'm pleased with the results. They were $39 each, but they look very "cool white" to me. Oh well, I like them ok.
    Last edited by David A Anderson; 02-24-2013 at 12:07 AM.

Time to get the tree out. I pushed it over and got my backhoe big time stuck. If anyone can do it, I sure can. I had to raise the hoe off the tree and cut the roots from underneath then crawl it out with the bucket.

Got her done. All cleaned up and loaded.

Dave, Job well done. I have been following for the past couple of months. I bet you are glad it is done and time to begin with the real fun - Setting up your new shop.
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

I started on the fence Friday. My sister is giving me a toilet from a remodel. Once I install it I can get a final inspection, then start installing the DC system and move my tools over.

My son is starting site work on his house next week. Once we start that project, I'll really get busy. I'm really missing being on the road with the Volunteer Christian Builders, however. www.vcbuilders.org I haven't been out on a job since November and I'm itching to get back. I received a call from a member today. They are on a 23 couple crew in Hope AR. Really sounds like fun. I never knew working for free would be so pleasurable until I joined that group of folks
    Last edited by David A Anderson; 03-03-2013 at 9:22 PM.

Nice thread! I'm looking forward to see more updates on your shop! Good luck

I've somewhat run into a problem with my DC system. I purchased a Woodtek CT-201 dust collector from Craigslist last year and have it stored away. Problem is it is missing the discharge chute. I called Eric at Woodworkers Supply and the part is no longer made. It's a 3hp cyclone and should have 2 bags for the fines, so the exhaust chute splits to two outputs.

The input is 6" which with a 6" main line and 6" drops bushed down to the tool outlet size will work one tool at a time for me, and as I see it should be sufficient for my needs. The intake and exhaust on the current models is 8".

I'm kind of thinking of fabricating an exhaust chute and sizing it to accept the new model Woodworker Supply cyclone bag. I'll have to discuss this with Eric next week.

Anyone have any other ideas?