Thread: Ideas for attaching turned legs to table

Ideas for attaching turned legs to table

I'm planning on making a table for my daughter's record player like the one at this link...

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban...FURN_FURNITURE

if you don't want to bother with the link... it is a 18.25"w, 13.75"d, 25"h table with splayed turned legs. There isn't an apron joining the top to the legs and the legs pass through a self below the table top. So basically, four turned legs, top and shelf (no sides or back).

What suggestions do you have for attaching the legs to the top and to the shelf? I'm leaning towards simply drilling angled holes into the top and through the shelf, but I also think that the top and shelf should be somewhat thin, so I don't know if there will be enough surface for just glue. I'd rather not have to screw through the top for aesthetic reasons, but I do want this to be something she'll be able to take with her as she goes through her young life. There's also the whole assembly thing.

Thanks,
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

I, personally, would probably lean toward the whole through mortise thing, like you would a stool. It might be a thin top, but I can't imagine anything being any stronger.

Perhaps making the mortise/tenons square(ish) might make it more aesthetically pleasing with the rest of the design???

I would use some angled mounting plates such as the ones here and screw the legs in. Once you've got the legs installed, you could sort out the location for the legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    I would use some angled mounting plates such as the ones here and screw the legs in.
    Dave, cool tip. I've never seen those. thanks!

You're welcome Brian. You should look at more mid-century modern furniture.

I see I mistyped my previous post. I should have written that once the legs are installed, the position of the shelf can be sorted out. Or. come to think of it, the legs could be two piece affairs that screw together through the shelf.

Thanks for the ideas. I like the simplicity of the brackets, but I'm afraid with the open design of the table (no aprons) they will stick out. I also thought of using two piece legs, but I'm concerned about drilling the centered holes for the hardware in the mitered legs and then screwing them together, although at that point maybe just using a dowel instead of a hanger bolt will do the trick.

Then again, I could simply turn each leg half separately then I could drill the dowel hole through the tailstock and miter the ends. This could also work for joining to the underside of the table top with dowels.

I'll have to mull this over. Thanks again for the discussion.
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

Those brackets a very low profile. They'll show if you get down low and look up from below but I don't really think they'll bother anyone. You could, if you wanted, inlet them a little like you'd mortise a hinge leaf.

As to the holes in the shelf, I don't think that should be a big problem. You can get the angle off the brackets and drill holes in the corners of the shelf at that angle. Counterbore with a Forstner bit for the leg and then you don't have to miter the legs. I made a couple of quickie sketches. Hopefully they make sense.

Tilt the table on the drill press or set up a jig to hold the shelf at the desired angle. Or you could make a drill guide out of a scrap of oak or maple to run a hand drill in.