Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daughters want guitars

I just reread thread to make sure I didn't miss something .You didn't say if she has had opportunity to hold a guitar and get a feel for whether a left hand guitar is desired ,as discussed in another thread some lefties are MORE comfortable with a right hand guitar. If she is not,you might do some reading or get a doctors opinion as to the advisability of asking her to fight natural inclination. Stuttering and other unwanted side effects can come from it.That is not a new theory,that was established a long time ago.I am left handed and developed a stutter from writing with my right hand when left was broken.Have never had to do a lot of writing ,but the stuttering continued for a long time after I was able to again write with left hand. I think my free medical advice is equal to George's,but I'm sure he is the superior surgeon. No , this advice is NOT part of Obamacare.

Mel, don't over think it. I'm a life long righty. As a classical guitarist. I Can do fingerings with my left hand my right hand couldn't dream of. If she's never played why give her a lifetime handicap?

John ,did you consider you were under researching ? I simply gave a serious and correct answer. If you have written some new paper on the subject ,I would like to read it.

Not sure how the guitar buying turned out but if you really want them to learn, buy guitar lessons. Kids get this magical instrument and don't know what to do with it, a few lessons will get them making coherent sounds. My self taught uncle tried to teach me and it was awful and turned me off guitar playing. My daughter has had 3 instructors, the first and third studied music in college and she has learned so much from them.

Went to Hanna's and got guitars and will start lessons there soon.

Thanks for all the help.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Quote Originally Posted by Charles McKinley View Post

Thanks for all the help.
    just wondering ...
    what 'brand' did you get ??
    a lefty and a righty ???

I'm considering a similar situation...but for my dad! Lessons are a must before I gave my maestro build him a guitar.

Mel: You're overthinking it...of course, I make no presumptions regarding your credentials and training. For all I know, you're a treated pediatric neurologist, like my friend.

FWIW, I'm a guitarist. I build guitars. I'm also an ambidextrous dentist. (This means not much at all).
    I've always felt that guitar playing is really a strange thing as the left hand has to do far more processing and manipulation. You could say that being a lefty is a significant advantage for a guitarist playing as a "righty."

I doubt it'd cause her to stutter. However, she'll probably pick up the guitar far faster than her sister.

To the OP: Why not rent to buy?
    Some of the better mom and pop stores will rent out decent instruments for about $30/month towards the purchase of said instrument. These are good, solid instruments with solid tops and a nice set-up (the most crucial part IMO). This is a great way to test the waters for a while.

Let the girls "pick" their guitars. Also let them take lessons, practice hard, and do chores to "earn" their treasures.
    They will have greater pride of ownership.

Mr. Matt,Does not being a neurologist mean I'm not allowed to read the research papers? I promise I won't operate on anyone ....unless it is an emergency. But you seem to be a dentist who has rejected the research and MY expierence. No wonder you have only one friend. Doc Mel

Matt,
    There might be some debate about what left and right have to do playing the guitar. I can't remember if left handed pianists stand out or are at a disadvantage. The question certainly is complicated.
    But I'm jotting this note because of hockey.
    The last time I checked a local Sports Mart (it was an emergency. I wouldn't buy a serious stick from them ) I found 95% of the hockey sticks were right handed. I saw this in other general sports stores, so I assumed this was an uninformed assumption by the buyers of that chain) In actual hockey, 70% of the right handers shoot left ( I read somewhere and confirmed roughly with observation). I could never find a correlation between this and eye dominance or natural handedness.

Was your ambidexterity acquired or innate? If you add working in a mirror half the time, you're a pile of questions!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles McKinley View Post

Thanks for all the help.
    Outstanding! I see that Max Schang is giving lessons at Hanna's....Say "hey" to Rae for me.

I haven't read every reply so I hope I am not duplicating a recommendation. For a reasonably prices entry level guitar I bought my daughter a Taylor Big Baby. It is a very nice little guitar. Since then I have become very impressed by Seagull guitars and if I was making the purchase again that is what I would get. I can't remember the model but for about $350-$400 Guitar Center carries the Seagull line. I actually compare it favorably to my Martin 000-15 which costs over twice as much. I hope that is the price range you are considering because (from experience) if you start out with an instrument of lower quality it will be hard to play, not sound good and will certainly lessen your pleasure with learning to play.

Bill

Mel, research....George Wilson and Bill Newman, my teacher of 20 years and just about every lefty who wishes they had it to do again. Stuttering??? Let's call in the rand corporation for an indepth study. Stuttering....jeez.

Ask a friend about BOOKS and GOOGLE

Stuttering???