Thread: Super Bowed Accufence...

Super Bowed Accufence...

OK...so I finally broke out my 4 year old PM Accufence that came with my PM2000. I've been using a Beis, but thought I would try the Accufence out. I put a straight edge along the fence face and found it was bowed in a lot...like about 1/16 or more. I just got off the phone with PM and Bob tells me that it's no problem and that the Accufence is made to be shimmed out to flat, even that much. He said just use layers of masking tape to shim it out.
    Has anyone had experience with the Accufence? Is that much bow an issue and can it really be shimmed out that much?

Don't know about the fence Derek, but masking tape will compress over time if its under pressure. I've had good luck with brass shim (you can buy packs of maybe 8in x 4in a selection of thicknesses from toolroom supplies places) stuck in place with contact adhesive in situations where the shims may otherwise be lost when the item is used...

ian

I have a PM66 with accufence, it came shimmed from the factory. I realized this when I pulled the UHmW plastic fence plate off to adds custom tall fence and the shims fell out. Mine isn't bowed 1/16", but probably half that anyway on the left side. It is designed to be shimmed and is pretty easy to do, access to the bolts from below. I'd skip the tape and get some plastic shims from McMaster Carr, I think I paid @ $5 for a whole set, useful for lots of things. You may want a few thicker brass or steel individual shims at the apex of the bow. I think inlaid mine on its side, put a real accurate straight edge on the fence and shimmed to that like feeler gauges, then put a piece of celephane tape just to hold these in place while I secured the plate.

Playing cards from the dollar store make excellent and cheap shims.Plus no shipping costs.