Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thought I'd share this over here with ya'll

Thought I'd share this over here with ya'll

I check in with you guys from time to time but haven't gotten in the habit of posting on this forum so I thought I'd give it a try.

I am a teacher in a jr. high school in an agricultural mechanics and science program. We recently completed this project during classes and used some of our newest technology in the shop.

This garden bench was built for a retiring band director that has years of experience teaching kids music. His favorite tune happens to be "Just a closer walk with thee" according to his wife. We cut out the measure of music with a plasma arc cnc table that we recently acquired in our shop. The machine is called "Plasma Cam" and is a real challenge for this ole dog to learn and get up to speed on it for the students. This project was fun and challenging for me. Now I've made plenty a garden bench but never one with plate steel cut out into a measure of music.

Ya'll tell me what you think. Be kind now.

Music Bench

Jim,
    I can't think of a nicer gift for a retiring music instructor! It is beautifully done. By the way, do the notes represent the first bar of "Just a Closer Walk With Thee"? I think you answered that in your post but I don't know a "measure" from a "sonata". I haven't read music for years but the design sort of looks like it is. If I was a music major, I wouldn't have to ask such a dumb question.

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Outstanding work. I really like the mixed media. That bench will be a constant reminder for the retiring teacher of the good times enjoyed at your school. Lars

Very nice, and quite thoughtful. Is the steel powder coated so it can handle the garden? Looks like it, but I have a poor monitor at home so can't really tell.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

I hope somebody is that thoughtful when I retire... well done

Jim, what a wonderful idea for a bench! I really like it. My younger son plays piano, and this would make a great gift for him too. Beautiful work, very inspirational idea, and great execution. Nice job!
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau

Answers to questions

I'm sorry I didn't make it clear in my post but the notes in the measure do represent the song "just a closer walk with thee" The art teacher drew the original, the kids and I scanned it into the plasma cam software and redrew the art on the software. It wouldn't scan in without being very fuzzy. I haven't got the hang of something yet.

The metal art is not powder coated, just several coats of a good spray paint. It won't be that hard to paint though because there are some definate hard lines to follow when painting.

Thumbs up

Jim.....that will mean a lot to the retiring music teacher! Great work by you and your students! I think Mark Singer will think this should be touted in the design forum! Nice work!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

What a fitting gift to a retiring teacher. One that not only represents his passion but also made by the kids that he shared that passion with. I think this was an absolutely fantastic idea that was carried out to a beautiful finish. Tell the kids how they should be proud of their work as we are impressed beyond words for not only their thoughts but also their actions.

Very cool! It got my brain spinning. Like I need another project...sheesh!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

That looks great! I am sure he will cherrish it for the rest of his life!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Jim,

My wife is a band director for a middle school here in northern Illinois. You've given me a great idea, however, my limited skill will make the execution a mere shadow of what you and your students have done. You've inspired me.

WELL DONE!!!!

Ken.......
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Jim,

Wonderful gift and project.
    Great blend of the capabilities of the students involved, enhanced by the instruction, tools and technology provided by the school, and highlighting the life's work of this teacher.

-Steve

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Great project! Stop bye a little more often we all are glad to have you around.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

You teach in a junior high school which has a computer-controlled plasma cutting machine??!! In this age of elimination of many school programs, that's quite remarkable.