Thread: A few pendant photos

A few pendant photos

Lauren and I will be demonstrating eccentric pendant turning at the next AAW Symposium (Tampa, in June).

This weekend we were preparing some text and photos for the session handouts, and thought a few of the photos might entertain some of the folks here.

Using an eccentric jig to vary the axis of the faceplate:

eccentric_axes_800.jpg

Eccentric arcs cut into this piece of Corian have been filled with Inlace (with metallic dye) and returned to the lathe for final shaping:

corian_inlace_pendant_800.jpg

Combining wood with jasper and Chinese jade beading:

pendant_padauk_jasper.jpg

Repurposing a photo ball head as a work holder, so Lauren can more easily do pyrography, piercing, inking, etc.
    The ball head is affixed through a square dog hole in this 100 year old Christensen work bench. A microphone stand boom arm make a comfortable wrist rest:

ball_head1_800.jpg

A simple piece of maple, with a raised bead around the "canvas" area where Lauren did some zentangling patterns. Finished with General WTF applied through an airbrush:

maple_flower_640.jpg
    Last edited by Alan Zenreich; 01-08-2013 at 1:02 PM.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

Alan,

Those are lovely pendents. I like everyone of them.

Alan

You and Lauren really raise the bar on creativity....super nice!

Which chuck is being used in the photos you posted?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Henrickson View Post
    Which chuck is being used in the photos you posted?
    The chuck is made by Richard Joyner out of Florida. It is available from Ruth Niles: http://nilesbottlestoppers.com/Pendant-chucks.html

I have the chuck. It is well made.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Wow, those are beautiful! I bought that chuck at the AAW symposium last year and haven't tried it out yet. I may have to dust it off. And soon!

BTW Where did you get the holder on your bench?
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Doug,

The holder is actually an old photographic ball head that I had not used in years. I made a wood adapter plate that's the same size as the pendant backer plate, so the "index" plate screws onto it. This lets us keep the work on the waste block, and later able to return it to the lathe.

We have a couple of methods of work holding... this was a recent addition, and Lauren is very pleased with it.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

The offset jig (previously called the 'pendant backer plate' or 'pendant jig') is available from Ruth Niles (nilesbottlestoppers.com), and from Steve Worcester (Turningwood.com)

9. High quality work Alan......very nice pendants!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Beautiful work by both Alan.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks identifying the chuck/jig and noting sources.

I've been doing pendants for a few years....but not like that!! Several steps above the norm Alan, those are really beautiful!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Outstanding work on them all. I've made a couple, that jig or chuck whatever it works beautiful .
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.