Thread: They Found It!!

They Found It!!

Guys from Cornell University and The Nature Conservency announced this morning that they had found Ivory Billed Woodpeckers living in old-growth bottomland forest in a part of Arkansas known as The Big Woods. This bird has not been seen in 60 years, and was considered extinct. One of my other loves is ornithology, and this is BIG! To quote one of the researchers: "It's like finding Elvis." These magnificent birds were thought to have been wiped out when most of the old-growth of the deep south was logged out at the turn of the last century.These are big honkin' (crow size) woodpeckers with bold black and white wings and a red crest. I hope I get to see one some day.

This news helps to remind us all just how vital trees and forests are. Not just to woodworkers, but to countless living creatures.

Here are some good links that Dr. SWMBO passed on to me earlier today...she learned yesterday from Laura Erikson that there would be an announcement today. And congrats to the Arkies whose lovely forest has been sustaining this outstanding creature!

http://www.ivorybill.org/
    http://www.birderblog.com/?v=04-27-05#04-27-05_215537.txt
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I can imagine those that found them could not belive their eyes! What an accomplishment that would be.

It is great to know that they have survived!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Good news.

We have a resident population of Green Woodpeckers at the workshop and they are often seen on the patch of grass in front of my shop on the ground feeding on ants. Whenever I catch a glimpse they raise a smile, nice to see fellow woodworkers enjoying a break from their carpentry task.

Here's the video that made it Proof Positive!

http://wid.ap.org/video/woodpecker.mov

Being a long time avian photographer this news really excites me!

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Congrats on the find. We grow lots of good stuff in Arkansas!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Here are some good links that Dr. SWMBO passed on to me earlier today...she learned yesterday from Laura Erikson that there would be an announcement today. And congrats to the Arkies whose lovely forest has been sustaining this outstanding creature!
    hey jim what is the differnce between that bird and the pilated woodpecker they look alike to me,,, and hve them up here in michigan a fair amount
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 04-30-2005 at 11:51 AM. Reason: fixed quote coding
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

I believe this one is bigger and the beak is ivory in color. Similar "form", however...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It's everywhere!

That is, the news. In the birding world, this is very, very big news. My inbox has received well over 100 emails about it (I subscribe to a couple birding list-servs). This bird is indeed the holy grail. People have been searching for years in the swamps of Texas and Louisiana. I met someone a professional ornithologist that was convinced he saw one in Louisiana in the 80s.
    It is encouraging to see this post on this site, since if the forest has grown back enough for the woodpeckers, there must be some really nice lumber there. I figure there should be enough to share.

As a birder and biology major, I'd sure love to see one, but for now I am happy knowing that they are some somewhere (there were some rediscovered in Cuba several years back, but those are already feared gone). Now, if we could find Bachman's Warblers or Eskimo Curlews (two other "extinct" species that could still exist in small numbers).
    Bb

Great News

Woody Woodpecker lives!!!
    Jim Stastny ~ Damascus, Maryland
    A poor workman blames his tools