Thread: Modifying dimensions

Modifying dimensions

I've become reasonably efficient at making models of projects with multiple components in Google SketchUp. However, if I need to modify any of the dimensions, it is pretty much start over. Is that just the way it is, or is there something for me to learn in this area? For example, if I change the location of a dado, can the self move with it?

I certainly wouldn't start over. I'd edit the components and make the changes. In the case of a dado changing location, you can edit the component with the dado in it, select the dado and move it as needed. Then close the component so you aren't editing it anymore and move the shelf into place. You can't move the dado and the shelf at the same time but it really isn't that difficult. Maybe this will give you some ideas.

And compared to a lot of the folks here, you're practically my neighbor. I can help you out if you need more help. Just drop me a PM.

Edited to add:

Here's a quickie example in screenshots.

Original drawing but we want to move the shelf down 3 inches.

Open the side component for editing. I use a double click of the Select tool. Then, with the Select tool, drag a left to right selection box around the dado. Make sure you select all of the dado and nothing else.

Get the Move tool (M is the default keyboard shortcut), click and release on a corner on the dado and start moving it in the desired direction. Make sure you keep the move along the edge of the component or you'll deform the geometry. Let go of the mouse and type the desired move distance, 3 in this case, and hit Enter. Close the component so you are no longer editing it.

Select the shelf. Get the Move tool. Click on a corner on the shelf that will correspond to a corner in the dado. Move that selected point to the corner in the dado. Click at the corner of the dado to release the shelf component.

Done.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 01-09-2013 at 7:48 AM.