Thread: Machine Hand Wheels

Machine Hand Wheels

Not sure if I headed this correctly but what I am looking for is a new wheel to replace the one on my 1974 Craftsman table saw. From day one (I bought I new) I have believed the wheel was too small of a diameter, not enough leverage to raise the blade using the handle on the wheel. Since it was from day I think it is just because it is too small. The wheel is plastic but has held up well and is not broken now, just looking for perhaps one with a large diameter that might provide more leverage.

Any one have a source for these?

Thanks

I got mine from Grizzly
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I have the same exact saw. I agree with you completely, and new handwheels are on the top of my list of upgrades for the saw, right after a MJ splitter :P

Must say i dislike the plastic hand wheels that come on some machines too - the fits tend to be sloppy, and they are often a bit warped and wobbly.

They tend to be available from most manufacturing jig/fixture/toolroom supply type places too, but the prices are probably higher....

ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 01-29-2013 at 7:38 PM.

Thanks for all the input. I did google hand wheels a while ago but did not find a good source. For some reason Grizzly did not come up. Guess I will measure the shaft and get some on order.

George

Reid Supply catalog pages 75-84 has any hand wheel you could want and they are very inexpensive.

http://www.reidsupply.com/products/k...s/hand-wheels/

That's an interesting link Michael.

Some may be familiar with Felder and Hammer's use of hand wheel hub mounted gauges to give a height read out on their machines. See half way down, they offer them for saws, planer thicknessers etc: http://www.hammerusa.com/us-us/produ...m-details.html

These guys offer gauges to go with some of their hand wheeels which look (subject to proper checking out) pricey but like they might do the same job....

ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 01-31-2013 at 5:11 AM.