Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone recognize this Delta/Rockwell drill press?

Anyone recognize this Delta/Rockwell drill press?

Trying to figure out how much HP it has and if I can set it for low RPMs. I'm pretty sure I can fix it up.

and this is its current condition..

Blog Entries
    What's on the motor plate? That should tell you the HP that it came with. You can measure the pulleys and determine the drive ratio. Use that and the motor RPM to determine the lowest and highest bit RPM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    What's on the motor plate? That should tell you the HP that it came with. You can measure the pulleys and determine the drive ratio. Use that and the motor RPM to determine the lowest and highest bit RPM.
    Unfortunately this picture is all i have for now so I cant see the motor plate.

Good machine, I have 2. Came with .5 HP and 4 speeds ~250 -~1100.
    Had mine reworked.

I have that same drill press, manufactured some time in the early 70's. I think mine is 1974. 4 speeds/pulleys, but I am not at home now to check the motor HP. Good drill press but no hand crank to change the table elevation. Have to use the muscle method; not fun with my auxillary table mounted on it. Yours should clean up nicely and work great.

We used to have one just like that where I worked. IIRC it had a 1/2 hp motor. Good machine! Sure would be nice if it had a crank up/down table. That thing's murder on your back.
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

Quote Originally Posted by pat warner View Post
    Good machine, I have 2. Came with .5 HP and 4 speeds ~250 -~1100.
    Had mine reworked.

wow thats some major modifications!

Anyone know what its worth?

That's a nice find depending on price of course. You can shop-make table elevation schemes from simple to complex, it just depends on time and money- what doesn't?

Here's a couple of links to review for ideas:
    Also, a used car jack, the scissors lift type can be employed as well.

Don't forget too, you can use a jackshaft combo to get the speed range anywhere you want it to be.

- Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

Last edited by Bruce Page; 01-31-2013 at 1:06 AM. Reason: Removed forum links. Linking to outside forums is not allowed per the TOS.

It looks to me like the mount is missing from the motor. If so, you will need a motor for it. I would also find out if it comes with the 4 sheave pulley for the motor. Those can be rather pricey.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    It looks to me like the mount is missing from the motor. If so, you will need a motor for it. I would also find out if it comes with the 4 sheave pulley for the motor. Those can be rather pricey.

John
    Here is another pic of the motor.

That motor sits in a cradle mount. The cradle is missing. You will need a cradle or a different motor. I'm guessing the step pulley is missing, too. Keep these things in mind when determining a value on the drill press.

John

Looks to be a 15-081 model.

Here are a couple more like it:

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind....aspx?id=12217
    http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind....aspx?ID=13592
    http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind....aspx?id=14163
    http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind...l.aspx?id=9249

What it is worth ultimately lies in what you want. I prefer old iron to the new stuff for the most part. If I planned on keeping it long term and it was a good drill press, up to about $275. You would likely spend another $200 or so going through it and setting it up well. There are few, if any, drill presses made today that would stack up to it, especially for less than $500 and a bit of time.

Here is a restoration of a very pretty drill press:

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind....aspx?id=13775

This design you are considering is the "split head" and consequently desirable.
    Last edited by Rich Riddle; 01-09-2013 at 9:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    That motor sits in a cradle mount. The cradle is missing. You will need a cradle or a different motor. I'm guessing the step pulley is missing, too. Keep these things in mind when determining a value on the drill press.

John
    Could the step pulley be on the spindle or is it always on the motor side? I'm thinking it may be worth about $25??