Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone recognize this Delta/Rockwell drill press?

Bill -

Converting the drill press to the twelve speeds involves an idler pulley that mounts between the two existing pulleys, a replacement for the rear pulley and two new belts. This was a Rockwell/Delta accessory that I doubt is available any longer. You might find one on Ebay, but I'd bet it would be pricey. As noted speed changes can be a bit difficult with this setup. I wouldn't worry about it and just use the four speeds you have. Getting a replacement motor with a slow speed option (1,150 rpm instead of the standard approx 1,700) might be a better expenditure as it would give you a slower low speed which is helpful for larger bits. You'd sacrifice some high speed but it would still be high enough to spin small bits for woodworking.

You might try to find a table raising accessory so you can crank it up and down, as adjusting the height of the table without this feature is difficult. You could try to find the Rockwell/Delta accessory for this but the same rule applies as above. Instead, I got a drill press table raising accessory from General as it was half the price of the R/D and much more substantial. You could get any make table raising accessory so long as it matches the diameter of the column on your drill press. Also as noted by others, with the 6" quill travel raising and lowering the table becomes less of an issue.

Good luck with it and enjoy. Be sure to post some pictures when you get it cleaned up.

I got so much help from this thread that I bought a subscription. I'm super happy with this drill press too. Thanks again everyone!

3. Hi Bill

If you really want change of speeds, change to a 3 phase motor combined with a VFD.

A 3 phase motor can often be had for very little $. A VFD will set you back at least a C note.

Some VFD's loose torque at slower speeds others do not.

The VFD gives you araiable speeds at the touch of a button or dial.

If you change over to a 3 phase motor, you can put a motor with more hp on the drill.

Now if you really want to spend some money take a lift cart like this
    http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb...art-69148.html
    Take the wheels and pull handle off it, and position it under the drill press. You will probably have to make some type of platform for it. Make a drill press table top to go on the lift surface that is 20" x 33".

Now you can raise the table by stepping on a foot pedal. Overkill, yea maybe, but sweeeeet.

Quote Originally Posted by robert morrison View Post
    Hi Bill

If you really want change of speeds, change to a 3 phase motor combined with a VFD.

Theres a 3 phase motor on CL right now for $35....Its the converter thats going to be expensive.

EDIT: i just googled and see that the VFD is the converter as well. They are on ebay for $400.
    Last edited by Bill Bixby; 01-30-2013 at 10:42 PM.

I also got an older Rockwell drill press recently and refurbished it. I saw on another forum guy's using a trailer tongue jack u-bolted to the column as a table raising mechanism. Pretty ingenious I think and I am going to keep a look out for one on CL and put one on my new drill press as it doesn't have a rack and pinion table raiser and never did. The table is pretty small but once I put an auxiliary table on it adjusting the position is going to become difficult with out a raising mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mayo View Post
    I also got an older Rockwell drill press recently and refurbished it. I saw on another forum guy's using a trailer tongue jack u-bolted to the column as a table raising mechanism. Pretty ingenious I think and I am going to keep a look out for one on CL
    Harbor Freight has them for $20 - $30