Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6 inch jointer

Around 1989 or 1990 I bought a DJ-15 and liked it a lot. The beds seemed a little short, but with more practice and some good roller stands, I think I could have done a lot more with it than I did. I traded up to a DJ-20 and it's OK, but it seems like it's the DJ-15 is the one Delta machine I've had no complaints with. If you can find a nice used one, I think it would be a pretty good investment.

Again, thank you all for your input. I have been leaning towards a Grizzley G0452Z. It comes with a spiral cutter head and a mobile base for $874 (shipping included). I looked at a Jet at Woodcraft that had three cutter blades and no mobile base for $899.

All I had for thirty years was a 6 inch Powermatic. Last year I got a Unitronix 16 inch. I still use the little powermatic for smaller pieces.
    I also have two RASaws, a 10 inch Crapsman and a 16 inch Dewalt, and three table saws. I see nothing wrong with having more than one of something. It saves set up time and if one is down for maintenance you can still function.
    I am hardly ever satisfied with cheap tools. My recommendation buy the best that you can.
    I have a passion for good old tools.

I have a Grizz 6" that I have owned since around '96. It has been a good machine and is still going strong. I had some issues with the fence mechanism being sloppy and Griz was worthless in fixing it. That swore me off of them (along with their terrible service when they had a store here). I fixed the fence myself and I have been very happy with the jointer. The knives have not been too much to fool with, but they are a little tricky to get right. I just upgraded my planer to a helical head. Works great, but I don't get the glass smooth surface I used to. Requires some extra work to smooth out the small ripples. I have broken a few cutters too (not sure I have figured out why). I had to re-torque all of the cutters to get a better surface.

I am saving up for an 8" and I will probably get the helix head option (not sure who's 8" I will buy yet).

Enjoy your "new" jointer!

Tony

Sounds like you have more room in your wood shop than I do in my entire house, Brian.

Keep looking on CL, you may find a good deal. I just picked this one up for $250 NIB (unopened box) http://nh.craigslist.org/tls/3548246612.html

Have to say that the assembly instructions were the best I've ever encountered. Whoever wrote this up really knew what he was doing. The Ridgid appears to be everything others have stated about it - a really good 6" jointer with rabbet shelf. The foot print is 12' x 29".

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry S. Wojtowicz View Post
    Again, thank you all for your input. I have been leaning towards a Grizzley G0452Z. It comes with a spiral cutter head and a mobile base for $874 (shipping included). I looked at a Jet at Woodcraft that had three cutter blades and no mobile base for $899.
    I have a G0452 and I like it. It was one of my first Grizzly tools and it has worked fine. That said...and I'm probably going to catch heck for this, but "oh well"...I would get the Grizzly you are looking at WAY before I would get the Jet (if this is your price range). Reason being, you will like the spiral cutter head a whole lot better (ESPECIALLY when it comes time to change blades. That is one of the jobs I absolutely hate! )