Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sub Panel mfg. recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bank View Post
    I've been debating the "match your house panel" thoughts... I just don't see it. How many people really keep spare breakers lying around? And I'd have to keep a collection of at least one 15A, 20A, 30A, 50A, 60A, & 100A breaker around to have spares to cover everything - and 110V and 220V versions of the 20A. It's not like fuses, where you have to keep them on hand in case you blow one. If one trips, you just go and reset it - not replace it. Am I missing something?
    And besides, if one breaks, you need to replace it anyway, not just shuffle them around. No, you're not missing anything. There's no advantage to matching the panels.

Blog Entries
    I would say my favorite is Square D, Type QO. Still all the major manufacturers are ok. GE, Eaton (Cutler Hammer), Siemens. I think they are all ok. I'd suggest you leave it to your contractor.

I happen to have a GE panel that came with my house and I put in a sub panel in my shop and happened to use GE also. They've done fine.

Good luck with it.

PHM

I have spare 20A breaker that will fit either panel as they are from the same line. I had two spares, but one of the newly installed 20A breakers kept tripping on a load that was <15A so I swapped it out with a spare. Before that I found that a 20A breaker in the main panel was connected to NM 14/2 so I replaced it with a new 15A breaker and moved the old 20A breaker down to the sub panel for use with one of the new circuits. If another breaker fails at an inopportune time odds are good that I can find a circuit that a breaker can be borrowed from for a few days.

No, it isn't a big deal and I'd go with what is readily available at the BORG as my highest criteria when selecting between a handful of quality brands, but if that fails to differentiate the brands then it can be handy to have all your panels using the same breakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bank View Post
    I've been debating the "match your house panel" thoughts... I just don't see it. How many people really keep spare breakers lying around? And I'd have to keep a collection of at least one 15A, 20A, 30A, 50A, 60A, & 100A breaker around to have spares to cover everything - and 110V and 220V versions of the 20A. It's not like fuses, where you have to keep them on hand in case you blow one. If one trips, you just go and reset it - not replace it. Am I missing something?
    I agree. Wiring in a new circuit is not a whim type of decision either usually, and breakers are relatively expensive, so why not just buy one as you need it? That's why I think availability is important.

While I'm a fan on Sq D most of the others, GE, Bryant, Siemens, Eaton, are interchangeable with each other so that helps. Dave

Blog Entries
    I have good spare breakers laying around because I had to remove full size breakers to make way for half size breakers when adding circuits. And I have a 200 amp panel in a 1500 sf house (full basement). But if I were adding a panel, I would go with the Square D QO, or CH as breakers for my old Federal panel are getting harder to find and saving a few bucks to reuse an old breaker is penny wise but pound foolish.