Thread: Humidor/box building question

Humidor/box building question

I am trying to figure out how to attach the walnut top to the box I am making for a humidor. The box is walnut with Spanish cedar bottom glued into a rabbit. The issue I am having is how to attach the top. The corners will be metered with male keys. I will assemble the box and the cut off the top. It will be 14"X11"x5". I was thinking of using a dato in the sides that the top which I will create a rabbit will sit into. The top needs to be flush on top with the sides. Will the wood movement cause issues with this design. Any suggestions on how to do it. I do not want to leave any gaps between the sides and top that can be seen when closed. The inside will be covered by the cedar lining.
    thanks,
    Mark

Mark,
    Unless I'm misunderstanding, you should be able to accomplish what you describe using hinges morticed into back edge of box and top.

Jim

Was actually asking of best way to cut joinery before glue up.

Your plan is good, but you have to have a gap all around the top if it is solid wood. I don't think that looks bad, but it's really precision work to keep a perfect even gap all around. Don't do that, and it will push the sides out come July. An 11" board is going to move close to a heavy 1/16 of an inch from season to season, unless it is quarter sawn. MDF and veneer both sides will work if you need to make it tight, but not solid. You could use the wood you have if you resaw it for veneer if that will help. Keep it thin though, anything much over 1/16 will act like solid wood and want to move.

Make the box as you say, and cut off the top. Then make an inner Spanish Cedar box that is 1/4" or 5/16" higher than the cut. The top then fits over the Spanish Cedar insert, and everything is automatically going to fit. You need an airtight "piston fit" on a humidor. Then mortise in the hinges after the fact.

You might even make a Spanish Cedar "tray" that fits in the lid portion simply so the inside is all Spanish Cedar. Doesn't need to be tight to the Spanish Cedar in the bottom. 1/8" is close enough.