Thread: Dutch Tool Cabinet

Dutch Tool Cabinet

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to muck about in SketchUp this evening, so I started working on a model of the Dutch Tool Cabinet that Chris Schwarz is building. It's rough, it doesn't have certain details and I have no idea what his dimensions were. I think mine is a bit bigger, it will probably hold all of my tools.

This is the tool chest I think I'm actually going to build. I like this design's smaller footprint, but taller storage. The angled lid and top-till is really cool also.

Link to SketchUp file. Note that is has no preview, because Google can't read a .sku file, funny huh?

Feedback welcome,
    Trevor
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Interesting. I'm having a look. I was curious about the file size It's pretty large, considering. Did you get the caster from the 3D Warehouse?

It's not so strange that Google Docs won't display a thumbnail for SKP files. If you want a preview or thumbnail you could upload the model to the 3D Warehouse. They set that up specifically for SKP files and to provide the preview.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 01-13-2013 at 6:23 AM.

Dave, I did get the caster from the warehouse, I couldn't see all of that geometry. But I know it is on the casters, the bounding box was huge. I guess the guy that "made" the caster stole it off of some other assembly but didn't remove the unneeded sketches, just hid them.

My goal had been to make as close as an imbedded direct link. I got so excited that Google Drive could accept .sku that I forgot that it's the same number of steps to get the file as if it were in the warehouse.

Looks like hosting is the only way to do what I was really trying to I guess.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

That caster component is pretty poorly drawn although that's not surprising for a model from the 3D Warehouse. I nearly always have to rework components I get from there to make them usable. Often it is just easier and faster to draw from scratch than it is to fix the downloaded version.

If you want to use Docs, make an image of your model (don't use a screen shot for that) and upload that. Make it a link to the SKP (not SKU) file for downloading. Or post it on the warehouse and raise the bar there a little.

It's one of those things I didn't feel like drawing up, a stand-in is all that was needed. But I agree anything worthwhile usually gets built from scratch.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop