Thread: Delta Table saw banging noise on start up

Delta Table saw banging noise on start up

i have a delta 3 hp cabinet saw. have had it for over 15 years. i know this was discussed one time or another but every time i turn it on it makes a initial banging noise. it works fine. never had a problem with it but i must have tuned the noise out but i want to remedy it. I guess since i don't use it very often because of time available i never got a chance to do something about. i am remembering it as tight belt tension but unsure. If anyone remembers please post a solution.

If you don't use it much, sounds like the belts might be getting stiff after being in the same position for too long. New belts or link belts might help.

I think it would be really hard to tension a table saw belt too much unless you really cranked down on it with a lever while installing it. It's possible your belt may need to be replaced. They can start forming to your pulleys eventually. With that being said you should still be able to hear it slightly with the cover removed once the saw is running. I would at least remove the belt and inspect it. Hope this helps.

just to let you know, the sound was been there since day one.

Ha ha. Well forget what I said about the belt although it still couldn't hurt to check it out.

Afrim
    Have you checked that pulleys are secure on there shafts. Is motor tension lock bolt secure if its loose motor can jump on startup making a banging noise? I like Gates belts, there Polyflex is outstanding. Tom

Also check and make sure your pulleys are still tight on the shafts. I had this happening on my planer and then one pulley promptly came off and fixed the problem.

I had a unisaw that thumped when starting.the red link belts helped.If I still had it I would have try's a softer belt like the one Thoumas suggested.I do remember finding set screws needed tightening.Dont let the lock tight on the set screws fool you. They still may need a half turn.Good luck

My jointer has belt slap on startup - when the motor forces the belts on startup, the belts deform and hit the belt guard. The noise goes away after about 1-2 seconds. Is there anything close to the belts that they could be hitting?

My Unisaw does the same thing...clunk on startup. I just live with it. You might check this link out as it may give you some insight into how to overcome your problem. http://www.sawcenter.com/unisaw_faq.htm Scroll down to "table saw clunk".
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

I have a mid 90's Unisaw. It never did that until I tightened the belts. Now mine does it too. Every time it starts.

I never noticed any belt slipping but thought thay they seemed a little loose, so I tightened 'em. Should have just left well enough alone, but I seem to be in good company judging from the others here .
    Dick Mahany.

I have the newer Unisaw and it did the same thing. I replaced the blade with a Tenyru Gold series blade. It reduced the bang quite a bit. I don't notice the bang now. The saws do start fast and so that initial torque is large. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't think it is a belt issue but that is just me. I replaced my old Unisaw with this newer model. I don't think my old one had that bang, bit it was 1.5 hp.

I had the same noise on my Unisaw. Adjusting and tightening the stop collar on the rear trunnion did the trick. See Joe's link.