Thread: belt length for PM 66

belt length for PM 66

I purchased a used PM 66 a few years ago and want to replace the matched v belts. Saw was manufactured in 1987. The manual that came with the saw lists 23" belts (4L-230), but the belts I pulled off the saw are 22" (4L-220). I don't know if the 22 inch belt were the originals or if the previous owner swapped the original 23" for 22" that he had on hand. Should I use the belts spec'ed in the manual or replace what was on the saw? Is there enough adjustability in the motor mount to make a 1" difference immaterial?

Thanks,

Rob

If it were me (and I did this on my cabinet saw) I'd replace all three with Fenner PowerTwist Plus belts. Check your local power transmission supply house like Motion Industries, Applied Industrial or the like. The PowerTwist belts will run smoother and last forever in this application. The stuff was around $7 a foot when I bought mine. You can get a similar knockoff belt at HF but the quality of construction isn't there.
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Ring View Post
    I purchased a used PM 66 a few years ago and want to replace the matched v belts. Saw was manufactured in 1987. The manual that came with the saw lists 23" belts (4L-230), but the belts I pulled off the saw are 22" (4L-220). I don't know if the 22 inch belt were the originals or if the previous owner swapped the original 23" for 22" that he had on hand. Should I use the belts spec'ed in the manual or replace what was on the saw? Is there enough adjustability in the motor mount to make a 1" difference immaterial?

Thanks,

Rob
    I just pulled them off my saw this weekend, and they were 4L-220 belts. Jump on eBay, there is a guy selling replacement sets for $20 shipped. Way cheaper than the belts were for my Unisaw...

There are a bunch of belt recommendations for the 66 over at OWWM. That's where I went for info when I rebuilt my 1966.

I checked out OWWM and based on the info there ordered a set of Goodyear Torque Flex AX21 (23-inch) belts from a local supply house in Rochester.
    As a side note, I'm not sure how I feel about being directed to a vintage machine site for info on a saw that was manufactured in the year I graduated from high school . I prefer to think of myself as "seasoned" more than "vintage."

Make sure the belts are matched which means their cut from the same roll of belt. If they cut 100 belts from a roll you would get 1 and 2 or 5 and 6, etc.
    Don