Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Holdfast?

I really like the ones I have from TFWW - work well, clever design, right price.....

If they are our of stock I can't imagine it will be for long....
    Cheers, Bill Fleming

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Ross View Post
    Does anyone know how to get a hold of Phil Koontz or Jake Pogrebinsky? It sounds like Phil/Jake or Gramercy the best place to go for holdfasts. Gramercy is out of stock, and I can't seem to find any kind of contact info for Phil or Jake. Unless anybody has another place to go for holdfasts?
    Thanks
    Hey, I just got off the phone with T4WW (I was ordering some other stuff) so I asked, and he said that they just got in 2 TONS of holdfasts. So order away. They really are the best I've ever found.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Lie-Nielsen also just introduced their hold fasts.
    James

"Uke is always right."
    (Attributed to Ueshiba Morihei)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Owen View Post
    Lie-Nielsen also just introduced their hold fasts.
    I was just going to post the same thing. They're in the new LN newsletter.

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=Holdfast
    - Mike

Si vis pacem, para bellum

"The Forge De Saint-Juéry, where Auriou's exquisite hand-stitched rasps are born, now makes a hand-forged bench hold down for the discriminating bench owner and woodworker."

I like how they make a point of saying its for the discriminating bench owner and woodworker.... as in those are two different potential buyers.

LOL, they must have done there research on the boutioque tool buyer market!

I don't like to discriminate so I won't be buying one of those.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McGee View Post
    Just one of those things would about double the total cost of my bench!

Well, I ordered 2 holdfast's from Lie-Nielsen today and they said they would be shipped Mon. I hope they work ok. Will let you all know how they work when I get them.

I just ordered a pair from TFWW.....

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    I got my Williamsburg holdfast and it is quite nice. It truly looks 18th century, although I'm sure that's not a surprise to anyone. I'm having a bit of trouble getting it to hold tight in my 4" thick main bench, but it grabs up tight in the apron of the bench, which is 1.5" thick pine. I'm thinking the HF shaft might be just a bit too short to work well in such a thick bench. I will make a modification or to and try it again. Or I may just use it in the skirt and keep the Grammercy holdfasts in the top itself instead of switching them back and forth. Either way, the Williamsburg HF from The Best Things is a lovely piece.
    Hey Zach. My bench is a Nicholson style with a 1.5" thick top so sounds like this might work really well in my bench. Assuming your apron has 3/4" holes.
    Jamie Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Bacon View Post
    Hey Zach. My bench is a Nicholson style with a 1.5" thick top so sounds like this might work really well in my bench. Assuming your apron has 3/4" holes.
    Yup, the apron has 3/4" holes. I'm sure it will work great in your bench. Haven't had time to modify it to work in mine yet, but I'm sure the sandpaper trick will do the job.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

holdfasts' pic

photo (4).jpg​ true handforged holdfasts picture

Quote Originally Posted by greg Forster View Post
    photo (4).jpg​ true handforged holdfasts picture
    That looks like a very nice, low profile, holdfast. Your work?
    Jamie Bacon

Nope, Mark Atchison's work; bought these a few years ago and they work great in my 4" thick bench top.
    These replaced a pr. of Gramercy's, which I confidently sold to another ( I'm sure quite pleased) woodworker.

For a quality, economical holdfast that actually works like it should- Gramercy is#1;
    for something with real panache- Peter Ross or Mark Atchison.

I got my lie-nielsen holdfasts to day. I have a 4" thick workbench and when I tried them out they worked fine. I am going to like them very much.