Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holdfast?

Holdfast?

Does anyone know how to get a hold of Phil Koontz or Jake Pogrebinsky? It sounds like Phil/Jake or Gramercy the best place to go for holdfasts. Gramercy is out of stock, and I can't seem to find any kind of contact info for Phil or Jake. Unless anybody has another place to go for holdfasts?
    Thanks

I have one from this fella in North Carolina. Very well made. They used to be much less expensive though. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holdfast-Woo...tem3f1ce1bb67A

Also, The Best Things has hold fast listed on their site. Don't know if they're in stock or not. http://www.thebestthings.com/newtool...g_holdfast.htm

Also, Peter Ross makes them for sale I believe.
    Jamie Bacon

I got mine from peter ross. More expensive than Grammercy but I like supporting craftsmen. He makes three or four different kinds. I got a 'regular' one for a 3/4 inch dog hole for $85 and up to $185 for the massive Roubo one he does. Get one of his dividers while they are at it, they's purdee too.

Mark Atchison, blacksmith at Plimoth Plantation (see Peter Follansbee joiner's notes/holdfasts). I bought a pr. about 3 yrs ago, along with a bench hook. Very, very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    I got mine from peter ross. More expensive than Grammercy but I like supporting craftsmen. He makes three or four different kinds. I got a 'regular' one for a 3/4 inch dog hole for $85 and up to $185 for the massive Roubo one he does. Get one of his dividers while they are at it, they's purdee too.
    Do you happen to know how much Peter gets for his dividers?
    Jamie Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Bacon View Post
    Do you happen to know how much Peter gets for his dividers?
    I paid 125 for a 6 inch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    I paid 125 for a 6 inch.

Thanks. That sounds more than fair for a hand forged pair of dividers from someone of Peter's talent.
    Jamie Bacon

The Williamsburg hold fast looks very nice. Every part of it is very correct. I still have my hand forged one made there in the 70's. At the time we had a good maintenance area blacksmith who made mine. It is very heavy duty. I should post a picture.

I have seen perfectly good craftsmen whack daily on their holdfasts with a steel hammer. I NEVER,NEVER do this. It mushrooms the head over,like a very beaten old cold chisel. It work hardens the steel right in the sharp corner so it will eventually crack. I only ever hit mine with a wooden mallet.

That "The Best Things" Williamsburg holdfast is a terrific bargain!! Who ever makes them is working too cheap. Buy yours soon,before the price goes up!!! REALLY.
    Last edited by george wilson; 01-14-2013 at 9:38 PM.

Now to the hard part of deciding which one to get? Since I just became familiar with what a holdfast even is , it’ll be a bit of a guess. I'm a little new at Neanderthal, I'm enjoying the learning curve. Thank you all for your help!!

I wonder if Harry is still making holdfasts? I have a couple from him that are very nice. They're not beautifully machined and polished like many, but they actually work extremely well....unlike many.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I wonder if Harry is still making holdfasts? I have a couple from him that are very nice. They're not beautifully machined and polished like many, but they actually work extremely well....unlike many.
    +1 for Harry's holdfasts.
    Paul

Just FYI, Phil and Jake are no longer taking orders for holdfasts. This went around on the Old Tools list a couple of months ago.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Zach,do you mean that the Wmsbg holdfast is no longer available? There are a lot of smiths and former blacksmith employees there,so I don't know who's making these nice hold fasts.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Zach,do you mean that the Wmsbg holdfast is no longer available? There are a lot of smiths and former blacksmith employees there,so I don't know who's making these nice hold fasts.
    No, the original poster asked about Phil Koontz and Jake Pogrebinsky (aka Jake the Russian). These two guys made very high quality holdfasts for the Old Tools list members for a number of years. Late last year, they announced they would no longer be taking orders so that they could work on their own projects. So, I just didn't want the OP to think that was still an option.

FYI, to the OP, I have a pair of the Grammercy holdfasts and they are nice. But I did just (like 15 minutes ago) order the Williamsburg holdfast from Lee. I like the looks of it, looks right for my shop and I like the idea of buying something hand-made.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Hey Zach, what size holdfast holes do you have and how thick is your bench?
    Jamie Bacon