Thread: Spraying varnish

Spraying varnish

Hello all,
    Anyone ever use a regular automotive type spray gun to sray varnish?
    I'm just finishing up a sliegh bed i've been making for my nephew and would like to try something differant. I usually do the wipe on Poly thing which for what I do works OK, but is very hard on larger projects. Im putting a coat of BLO on first, let it dry, then spray a couple of coats of Varnish. Does this sound doable with a Sharp's auto type spray gun?

Thanks,
    Jim Knauss, Sawmill Creek's poor cousin
    PS Here's a Pic of progress so far ( hopefully )
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jim,

I am "Finish Challenged" so I'll just wait to see everyone else's answers. But I love the bed!! Very cool.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I live in Steve Schlumpf's basement...under the stairs

I've never tried it but everything I have read on the subject says NO. I would recommend spraying a coat of shellac (blond dewaxed) over the BLO then several coats of laquer.

Most folks do not recommend spraying varnish. Not because you'll get a bad finish because with a properly adjusted gun and good technique you can get a very nice finish. The problem is that varnish dries very slowly in the scope of things and you'll end up with a sticky mess ALL OVER from any and all overspray. The best finishes to spray are those that dry/cure quickly...NC lacquer (with proper environmentals and personal protection and not anywhere IN your house), water-bourne acrylic products, shellac, etc.

If you want to use varnish on your project, stick with wiping or brushing. IMHO.
    “Never raise your hands to your children, it leaves your groin unprotected.” - Red Buttons

If you want your spouse to listen and pay strict attention to every word you say -- talk in your sleep...

Be safety conscious. 80% of people are caused by accidents.

Equestrian Sports. The most fun you can have with your boots still on...

While I am not certain, I think that the only varnish that is commonly sprayed is conversion varnish. This is a two part varnish that dries quickly and is among the most durable of finishes. I believe that it is typically the finish on a factory produced kitchen cabinet, including as a clear coat over paint. I do not spray it, but have had it done at a finishing shop for a job or two that seemed to require this durability. I think it has to be mixed quite carefully, and that clean up is a PITA.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Thanks for the replies.

I'll try lacquer then, instead of varnish. Thanks again for the help, almost pulled a boo-boo

Jim Knauss