Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Craftsman Style Bed

So with a little help from Dave Richards (much appreciated Dave), I have been able to progress the design for the headboard to this point so far. What is left is to insert the 1/4" plywood panels, then apply the mullions. The footboard will be much easier to do as it is less complex. I know that my methods with SU so far aren't the most efficient, but it is getting the job done. Efficiency will come with more experience with the program.

You might recall that the siderails to connect head and foot have to be taller to keep our twin mattresses from separating. Would they look funny as through tenons?

Thanks for all the feedback,

Mike

Craftsman Bed.jpg

Through tenons would look fine, IMHO, but unless you are building this in the room where it will live forever, don't you want to be able to dis-assemble for transport? (Can you get that thing through a bedroom door?) Maybe think about bed bolts or bed rail brackets so the headboard and footboard can be disconnected from the side rails.

Good work, Mike.

And yes, efficiency comes with practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Miner View Post
    Through tenons would look fine, IMHO, but unless you are building this in the room where it will live forever, don't you want to be able to dis-assemble for transport? (Can you get that thing through a bedroom door?) Maybe think about bed bolts or bed rail brackets so the headboard and footboard can be disconnected from the side rails.
    Good point about disassembly Jerry. I can always make faux through tenons for appearances.

Another even easier alternative for the legs is the lapped-miter router bit set sold by Infinity. I have one and use it with excellent results for just this purpose. It's expensive, and really falls into the category of "I just want to get this done so throw $$$ at the problem", but is a one time investment.

http://www.infinitytools.com/1_2-Sha...ctinfo/55-505/
    Last edited by Chad Bender; 01-29-2013 at 3:16 PM. Reason: typo, added link

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Miner View Post
    Mike--

Here's another option for gluing up your legs--no mitering involved:

Attachment 251518

As to sizing the parts: I think you're on the right track. Sketch-up is really useful here---it's easy to re-size the pieces and see what the results are before you actually build.

Post parts could be 4/4 if you want, 6/4 would work also, and provide more glue surface in the miter if you go that way.
    I built a craftsman styled bed a couple years back and would use this style of leg construction for another build. (It is authentic to early Gus Stickley, too. Note that the veneer is something like 1/8 - 3/16" thick.) I made my legs one piece since the piece I used as a pattern had one piece legs and I came across a piece of red oak large enough. Red oak was a pita, but it came out ok. The remainder was QSWO in 6/4 for headboard, footboard and side rails; and 4/4 for simple slats in the headboard. Head & foot board rail joints were mortise, tenon, and pegged into the legs. Side rails were attached with bed rail brackets so it can be moved.