Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craftsman Style Bed

Craftsman Style Bed

So the wife was surfing around the interwebs and found this bed, and wants me to build one similar to it.

Attachment 251388

So it will be made out of QWSO, assuming I can find a local source of 16/4 for the posts. I guess my main question would be if the mullions should just be applied over a plywood back to simulate the look, or would I be better off going the more complex route of structural mullions and individual panels?

Additionally, the side rails connecting the headboard to the footboard will need to be wider so that they can keep our two twin sleep number mattresses from separating.

I have been trying to learn SU, but I don't really have the time to devote to it, so I am sticking to pencil, paper, and scale for now.

I appreciate any help,

Mike

So how do I get the attachment to embed in my posts?

What is the attachment and where does it reside currently?

The attachment is a photo of the bed she wants (I uploaded the photo to SMC and then attached in my original post).

Strange that it doesn't show. It's hard to answer your question but as a guess, I would be inclined to use a single plywood panel instead of a bunch of small panels and narrow frame members just to add some rigidity to the head and foot boards. I might change my mind after seeing the image.

Hosted it over on photobucket:

That'll do.

Three panels on the headboard, two at the foot ought to work fine.

If you had the time, this would be a good project to use to learn SketchUp but maybe the next one.

Thanks Dave, I appreciate the feedback. 3 panels and applied mullions would certainly make the project easier, and should be more structurally sound. Waiting on a call back from the local specialty lumber store to see if they can get 16/4 QWSO.

I agree with Dave: 3 panels with applied muntins.

You don't have to find 16/4 stock for the legs. You can glue-up smaller boards and make things BETTER: with solid 16/4, you'll get--at best--two sides quater-sawn and two sides flat-sawn. You could glue-up from smaller stock and get all four sides quarter-sawn:

4 inch post 1-15-13.png

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Miner View Post
    I agree with Dave: 3 panels with applied muntins.

You don't have to find 16/4 stock for the legs. You can glue-up smaller boards and make things BETTER: with solid 16/4, you'll get--at best--two sides quater-sawn and two sides flat-sawn. You could glue-up from smaller stock and get all four sides quarter-sawn:

4 inch post 1-15-13.png
    Good point Jerry, I hadn't thought of that. Would take some pretty good precision to ensure the axial miters are exact, but should be to be done.

Should make the lumber cost a little less as well. Maybe 6/4 for the sub-parts for the posts?

I am looking for some help on sizing the rest of the pieces. For the topmost rail I was thinking 6/4 x 4", and the same for the bottom rail. For the rest I was thinking 3/4 x 2 1/2". I wanted to give the top and bottom rails some heft to carry the size of the posts into the rest of the design, and then 3/4" x 2 1/2" for the rest so it doesn't look overly chunky?

What do you all think?

Thanks,

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Hollis; 01-17-2013 at 9:04 PM.

Mike--

Here's another option for gluing up your legs--no mitering involved:

Post Alternative 1-17-13.png

As to sizing the parts: I think you're on the right track. Sketch-up is really useful here---it's easy to re-size the pieces and see what the results are before you actually build.

Post parts could be 4/4 if you want, 6/4 would work also, and provide more glue surface in the miter if you go that way.

So I have a little time on this project as we are headed to the West Coast to visit my parents and take the grandkids to Disney, San Diego Zoo, etc. so I have been spending a little time learning sketchup. So far I have to two posts the top rail. Not very fast progress. I did add Wudworx mortise and tenon plugin to make the process a little easier. Was $7 I think.

Bed Plan.jpg

Will post more as I get further along in the design.

Thanks for all the help,

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Hollis; 01-18-2013 at 9:37 PM.

Mike, the Wudworx plugins are excellent. You should have gotten the entire package. Enjoy your trip.

So still working on this design. Plan is to use domino's to atttach the upper-subrail to the upper rail. Both upper and lower rails will be M&T'd into the posts. But how should I go about attaching the stiles to the posts? Build sequence is build the entire headboard, the attach the posts on either side using domino's. Footboard will be done similarly.

Anyone see any issues with this?

Thanks again,

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Hollis; 01-20-2013 at 9:55 PM.

That sequence makes sense to me, but you'll need to be careful to get a good clean fit of stile-to-post as it will be difficult to clamp this connection anywhere but at the overall outside (i.e. you can't clamp the individual stiles to the post, at least not easily--there is potentially a little purchase for a clamp at the exposed edge of the stile). You could add Dominoes or biscuits or a spline here to help keep everything lined up.