Thread: New Member, First Post. Walnut Table Top

New Member, First Post. Walnut Table Top

This is my first post and I wanted to show ya'll the beginnings of my new table. This is a photo of the table top I glued up on Monday. I thought the figured walnut was really pretty and worth sharing. The white strip is just a 1/2" piece of poplar (because I didn't have any Maple) that I thought added a nice visual design element. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,

Richard
    Walnut Table Top.jpg

Richard, Welcome to the creek. Glad you found us and hope you enjoy your stay. That's some mighty nice figure in that walnut. You might have some problems with the dark walnut sanding dust contaminating your poplar. Can't offer a solution, but you might try a test piece with both woods to see how they finish out together. Good luck!

Thanks for the warm welcome Ted. It hadn't even crossed my mind that contamination would be an issue. I wonder if I could just tape up the Poplar, after sending it through the planer, while I'm sanding the walnut and just hand sand that area close to the poplar carefully. Either that or just finish it with my smooth plane.

Richard, Hopefully others more experienced will chime in. You could also use a cabinet scraper for a finish quality surface. Glue up a small test piece and experiment. Maybe seal coat the poplar first and mask it off before sanding the walnut?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Richard, Hopefully others more experienced will chime in. You could also use a cabinet scraper for a finish quality surface. Glue up a small test piece and experiment. Maybe seal coat the poplar first and mask it off before sanding the walnut?
    That's a good idea. I'll glue up a little scrap and give it a shot.