Thread: dust collector efficiancy

dust collector efficiancy

Has anyone added a home made "vortex cone" to their dc. None of the dc manufacturers will sell the parts to retrofit any of their units. I've asked. I've read about a number of home remedies that look as if they would work, including a sheet metal cone, a vent cap , a thien baffle, and strangest of all a wok. If anyone has tried any of these; how well did they work.

Blog Entries
    There was a post where someone had used a Wok that they picked up at a yard sale to make a shop made Jet Vortex. I'll see if I can find it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

An early Shopnotes magazine had plans for a cyclone. Onedia sells their cyclones separately.

Google Thien dust separator. Mine is not very well made, and works great. Cheap and effective.
    Paul

Google "wok jet vortex" the first hit is an article from popular woodworking.

Hi Larry.... I made a cyclone dust collector using 2 plastic blue barrels, a bit of sheet metal, and a couple 5 gallon buckets. The cyclone works beautifully, and for the cost of 2 barrels ($20).

Look here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...lastic-Barrels

Lornie

I would love to see the wok tested properly. It would be hard to justify a cyclone if a wok and a DC works as well.
    Of course, I would also love to see the Jet vortex and the Thien baffle tested.
    But I guess Thien and woks don't buy advertising; and maybe Jet doesn't want it tested.

Phil Thien has a web site devoted to his baffle. Google Another Vote for Phil Thien's Baffle," and you can see how I made the first "Top Hat" design several years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Phil Thien has a web site devoted to his baffle. Google Another Vote for Phil Thien's Baffle," and you can see how I made the first "Top Hat" design several years ago.
    +1 for the top hat. a very nice design.
    Paul