Thread: What the crowd saw at the demo - Spalted ambrosia maple box

What the crowd saw at the demo - Spalted ambrosia maple box

I had a blast last evening at the Central Virginia Woodtuners. On the way to the meeting I thought that attendance would be small because of a cold rain and somewhat foggy conditions............boy was I surprised that all the chairs were filled and folks were standing up!

We even had some turners from the Richmond area, including Barbara Dill, whom I met for the first time and she has become a member of CVW. She brought her latest piece "Harmony" that she is doing for the AAW symposium.

Anyway, this is the box I turned last evening......of course no finish on it then, so I put a coat of shellac to pop the grain on the spalted ambrosia maple........I also put the burn lines on it today as well.........and because the wood moved a bit overnight, the lid got really tight, to the point it was difficult to get it off the box, so I took some small shavings off the tenon on the box where the lid fit. Because of this, it appears the lid does not fit, but it does, as the box itself ovaled a little, and if I squeeze it a bit the lid lines up perfectly all around. [Hey, I point out the flaws, but that is the nature of the medium we use........wood!]

This was turned on the clubs PM3520b,and I really appreciate all the many folks who attended.........I am humbled by the response!!!

IMGP3852.JPGIMGP3854.JPGIMGP3855.JPG
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 01-16-2013 at 10:48 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Beautiful box and wood Roger. Well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    Beautiful box and wood Roger. Well done.
    Thanks Bernie!

Very nice. What is the size?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Glad your demo was a success. I have just about quit doing things with lids because of the wood movement. The only thing that I found that helps is to make sure the wood is really dry, like microwave dry.
    Fred

I agree with Fred..or a dry burl..no too much movement generally. Keep having fun
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Congratulations on a successful demo, Roger! You're getting to be quite the box master!

Thanks Fred, Michelle and Bob........much appreciated! Brian the diameter is 4.75 inches and the height is 5.5 inches.

Thanks for taking a look and commenting, all of you!

Reduced diameter equal reduced wood movement. Try 2 3" dia. Very nice box by the way and the drier the better.
    C&C WELCOME

Beautiful, Roger! With demos like that, be prepared to travel. I suspect the invitation list is going to grow!

David

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    Beautiful, Roger! With demos like that, be prepared to travel. I suspect the invitation list is going to grow!

David
    Thanks David!

Doing demos can be pretty scary. I did my first demo at our club (Willamette Valley Woodturners) a week ago. There were close to 75 people in the crowd. I like to make pens and that was what I demonstrated. It felt good sharing what I know and kind of "Paying it forward" for all of the skills that I have learned from going to the clubs demos. Plus it helps getting all of the compliments after the meeting

Ron
    Ronald Fox

Webmaster - Willamette Valley Woodturners (Salem, OR)
    www.willamettevalleywoodturners.com
    Webmaster -Oregon Woodturning Symposium (Salem, OR)
    www.oregonwoodturningsymposium.com

13. I think they said we had about 55+ at the meeting.............I was inundated afterwards by folks coming up to ask about the grinds I had on some of my tools, and the finish I was getting off the tools, especially the bowl gouge......for some of the outside shaping I was using a shear cut, which made the curlees fly and left a surface that can start sanding at 220 grit or higher.