Thread: New Carbide Cutter for Christmas

Blog Entries

Thumbs down New Carbide Cutter for Christmas

My wife gave me a new, main stream, full sized square tip carbide cutter for Christmas. I had been lusting after this new cutter for some time. I turned a large walnut handle and started working on some six month old cherry stock. I guess it would be considered "semi-dry". I used this new tool to rough out some cherry and the leading front edge of the cutter shows some noticable wear after just one use. Has anybody else had this happen to them? It may be technique but I doubt it.

2. Quote Originally Posted by ken gibbs View Post
    My wife gave me a new, main stream, full sized square tip carbide cutter for Christmas. I had been lusting after this new cutter for some time. I turned a large walnut handle and started working on some six month old cherry stock. I guess it would be considered "semi-dry". I used this new tool to rough out some cherry and the leading front edge of the cutter shows some noticable wear after just one use. Has anybody else had this happen to them? It may be technique but I doubt it.
    This is one reason I have not gone to carbide cutters by and large......I do have some Hunter Hollowing tools..........I prefer sharpening my bits as needed to refresh the edge........I am always assured of the best performance that way.......others I am sure may feel differently, but that is my thinking and what has given me the best long term results.

I am also a bit of a purist.......that means that I want to learn to use most/ all the tools because I am serious about turning and for some folks who just dabble in it from time to time, the cutters that don't need sharpening may be a better way to go......to each his own!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 01-17-2013 at 5:03 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!