Thread: Federal style writing desk

Federal style writing desk

Here is my version of a Federal style writing desk. I built most of this as a student in the NBSS three month intensive woodworking program. The primary woods are walnut and birds eye maple. The secondary wood is poplar. I'm embarassed to say the knobs are from Lowes, but they are fairly authentic in that they are big and ugly - a common trait of a Federal style knob. The bottom of the gallery is fixed to the top of the gallery with stopped sliding dovetail joints done with a router. All of the drawers are hand dovetailed. All of the parts were milled from rough 4/4 or 8/4 stock. The finish is a sealer coat of dewaxed shellac, followed by natural Watkins Oil, then three coats of shellac and a couple coats of paste wax. Not sure how many hours - lots.IMG_0635.jpgIMG_0636.jpgIMG_0629.jpg

Very nice work!

[Display ignorance mode ON]

Okay, please explain to me what attributes make this a Federal desk? I'm a rank newb when it comes to the style...

[Display ignorance mode OFF]
    It's better to be a spectacular failure than an apologetic one...

Fine piece of work by way of introducing your self in your first post. Good for you - nicely done.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

That is outstanding and what a great job you did on it.

Welcome to the Creek, Bruce. Very nice workmanship!

What skill level does NBSS require of students to participate in the three-month program? Any; or do they start you off with the basics?

Scott Perry, the old adage about a picture being worth a thousand words comes to mind; probably easiest to Google "federal period furniture style" or some such to get a greater understanding.

Nice job, and beautiful Walnut !!!
    MARK

Such beautiful craftsmanship, you are to be commended. Love your choice of woods.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Scott M Perry View Post
    Very nice work!

[Display ignorance mode ON]

Okay, please explain to me what attributes make this a Federal desk? I'm a rank newb when it comes to the style...

[Display ignorance mode OFF]
    Federal came right after Chippendale in American furniture styles. It is drastically different in that you don't see so much of the cabriole legs and carving but a lot of inlay and straight tapered legs. It seems whenever someone sees a tapered leg they assume it is Shaker but this is not always the case, as Bruce's piece shows. Mixing woods was rarely seen (to my recollection) in earlier styles but was seen in Federal. The pulls are different than what you would see in Chippendale and Queen Ann as well.

Personally a lot of the pieces I don't like but there are some that have some appeal. Many Federal sideboards were done with nice matching figured mahogany and there is a boatload of card tables that I like, as long as the proportions are right. They were usually done with hinged tops that folded over on themselves and a gateleg to support the top when it was unfolded. Also done with great wood.

Really nice piece, wood choice looks great together.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Blog Entries
    Really nice work. Welcome to the Creek.

I am embarrassed I have not been back to the forum to thank everyone for the generous remarks. I got side tracked for quite awhile with some important family issues. To answer one question about the level of experience to take the three month Bennett Street intensive course, I had done unremarkable things for many years, but one of the young people indicated he had never even operated a hand drill before-so the experience level in my group was all over the place. One student, who became a good friend was 84-the youngest was 25. There were 5 of us, a small class. It starts with sharpening, then hand chisel techniques, drawing and a dovetail box, moves to a small Shaker table then a Federal style desk. I took liberties with the federal style with my desk, it is sort of Federal inspired rather than true - especially in the gallery part which would classically have a lot of cubbies instead of the drawers I chose. Classically there would be stringing in the legs and maybe the apron - but I am slow and ran out of time.

Thanks again for the comments...

Beautiful Desk Bruce, and nicely done. Great job!