Thread: Cherry and maple Jewelry Armoire

Cherry and maple Jewelry Armoire

My wife has a large collection of jewelry, especially clip-on earrings. This armoire is my design, and consists of two cherry floating boxes mounted on hidden fasteners to a cherry frame. The bottom drawers are traditional style with modified (Route-R-Joint) dovetails and false fronts. The false fronts are made from a cherry base with thick spalted maple veneer glued to the front. I then routed a cove on the edges and excavated the center oval to reveal the cherry backing. The pulls I made from walnut stained black with India Ink. The drawer interiors are lined with cotton muslin and have walnut dividers. The top box doors are maple framed around spalted maple floating panels. The pulls are also made of stained walnut. The screens inside slide out and are made of walnut half-lap frames and wire mesh cut from shelf drawers (IKEA). They slide completely out and pivot for viewing of contents. Clip-on earings hang very nicely on the screens. Two of the screens have posts mounted for necklaces and bracelets. The decorative flairs on the sides are maple with silver string inlay. The entire exterior was wiped down with linseed oil and then spray-coated with precatayzed laquer and sanded with 600 grit waterproof and oil. I have kept my description brief to prevent boredom, so please post specific questions if something is a mystery. Thanks (also posted on Bt3Central)
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is way more elegant. Absolutely awesome and very functional. Now, that is an heirloom that I want to treasure.

I really like the design and layout. What is the method of operation of the slide-out panels? Did you use a pin in groove arrangement or special hardware. Thanks.

very Dramatic !
    MARK

The panels are 1/2 inch thick walnut. I attached cork engineered flooring cut in strips top and bottom to make grooves for the panels to slide in. I also covered the entire bottom of the box (under the cork strips) with black "Formica" to provide a slippery surface. So there is really no hardware involved. The back of each panel has another 2 inch wide piece of walnut attached with hinges and stops top and bottom so when you pull the slide out all of the way, it can pivot to gt a full frontal view.

Simply gorgeous work. Your wife must be thrilled.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Absolutely gorgeous.

Wow...that's outstanding!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Stunning piece. I like the side embellishments and the '90* barrister mechanism' approach to the earring panels is brilliant.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Gene, thats really a nice piece. I'll 2nd the side treatments, they work very well with everything. Very well done.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Blog Entries
    How do you connect the floating boxes? Beautiful piece BTW.