Thread: Clear finish on oak floor for shop

Clear finish on oak floor for shop

There are so many opinions on what to use, so from the people that have oak in there shop what did you use?

Bob

Not oak, but I did three coats of tung oil on my hickory floor. Turned out very nicely and any damage to the finish just requires some quick scuffing with a 3M pad and then wiping on new finish - blends in perfectly.

BLO. Cheap. Warms up the floor and shop. Some minor protection and easy to reapply in the future. It's a shop, not a dining room.

9640_550023321674532_949028975_n.jpg

What are the pros and cons between BLO and polymerized Tung Oil?

I used BLO and thinning it with mineral spirits.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Milito View Post
    What are the pros and cons between BLO and polymerized Tung Oil?
    I'm no expert but, I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night . . . anything with a hardener that reaches a state of "brittle" will be more fussy to repair than a soak-in finish. We can't really thin BLO of course but, the addition of mineral spirits as additional carrier does make application easier. The reduced quantity of solids in the "thinned" mix speeds dry time but, additional coats may be desired. I regularly "thin" my BLO as I find the addition of more (if required) to be preferable to the waiting and weeping one must deal with when flooding it straight out of the can. YMMV. ;-)

Oh yeah, by the way . . . I hate you for being lucky enough to have a wood floor in your shop ;-))
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

You could go the route of Waterlox. It is a tung oil, easy to apply, and easy to repair issues. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I used Treehouse Labs tung oil. I see that they say they are closed for the winter. Haven't seen that in the past and I'm hoping that they're back as the weather warms up.

Thanks for the input

Bob

Regrettably, I sent them an email and have found that Treehouse Labs has gotten out of the wood oil business...

I really liked their product.

Does using BLO or tung oil have issues with dust sticking to it or does it dry/soak in relatively hard?
    Bob C

The tung oil I used is a smooth, solid surface. No issues with anything sticking to it.

Plus one on BLO and mineral spirits. Dries fast, can be reapplied later, no problems.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.