Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My tablesaw island and it's dust collection setup.

My tablesaw island and it's dust collection setup.

Since 1984 my primary tablesaw has been a rebuilt 1940s Rockwell Delta Model 34-450 Unisaw. It has a Biesemeyer fence that will cut to 84", and a Biesemeyer vacuum/blade guard that is attached to the ceiling and hinges up when in the way.

The saw cabinet's base is attached to the shop's vacuum system with 5" flex hose. The hose going from the saw cabinet's base is supported by a wood trough on it's way to the hose's vertical drop from the ceiling. The hose is attached to the saw cabinet base by a removable wood sawdust receptacle. Two #720 De-Sta-Co pull action clamps attach the wood receptacle to the saw cabinet's base. The wood recepticle has an aluminum funnel (made from roof flashing) shaped in a way to direct the sawdust to the hose. Expanding insulation foam fill the space between the wood receptacle and funnel to give the funnel rigidity.

The motor is covered with a wood box that has a hinged door for access to occasionally clean around the motor. Openings in the saw cabinet base were filled from the trunnions down, but in the trunnion area and above, I left them open so the dust collector suction would not be makeup air starved. Doing it this way just made sense to me, but I must confess that I have not put a lot of thought into the "science" of air movement inside the saw cabinet base.

There are two dedicated dado saws below it's table extension. The 1930-40s vintage tabletop saws have been rebuilt and are installed upon sawdust catching carts that have straight lined wheels in the back with legs and "wheelbarrow" handles in the front. When needed the dado saws are rolled out from under the Unisaw's extension table. One is used for ¼" dados, the other is set up to dado for Youngdale hinges.

I have had this setup 27 years and it is great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jerry Hillenburg; 01-19-2013 at 9:21 AM.

Very nice!. I wish I had that much room. My early 90's Unisaw is limited to a 36" extension.
    Charlie Jones

Beautiful shop and very well thought out. I love the drawer in the fence tube - why didn't I think of that!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Very nice setup Jerry!
    I may copy your 5" take-off on the saw cabinet for my Grizzly 1023. I have been trying to find an "end register" with a 5" outlet, but no luck locally.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "Youngsdale" hinge?

Ditto on the fence drawer. You should submit that to a magazine before someone else does.

Also, looks like you got some pretty nice motors on those old contractor saws.

Rick Potter

PS: I'll bite. What is a Youngsdale hinge?

another impressed with your fence rail drawer!

But now i have a SS and it has hooks welded to the side for the arbor wrenches . . . . but would have done it on my old pm66 in a heartbeat!

Thanks Michael! Like you, I to tried to find an end register - I do not think one exists that could be adapted to for this.

I misspelled "Youngsdale", should be "Youngdale". The pictures below show the shop-made Youngdale hinge slot cutting gig and the hinges.

Youngdale hinges are cabinet hinges that are almost indestructible and allow a very wide swing on cabinet doors; http://www.youngdale.com/ I am retired now, but when the shop was running commercially, we used these semi-concealed battleship tough hinges until the market demanded totally concealed hinges. I never had any issues with Youngdale hinges, but I had a lot of issues with totally concealed hinges.
    Last edited by Jerry Hillenburg; 01-19-2013 at 12:46 AM.

Rick, I submitted the "Sliding Tool Tray" drawer to all the table saw manufactures a few years back and got lots of praise but none of them were interested. You and the other people posting have inspired me to submit the drawer to some magazines. Thanks!

The motors for the small saws are Marathon 1 1/2hp and a Baldor 1hp, both 220vac - more than enough power to cut 1/4" dadoes. The Unisaw has a 3hp. Baldor.

I misspelled "Youngsdale", should be "Youngdale". See my reply to Michael's post about the hinge.
    Last edited by Jerry Hillenburg; 01-19-2013 at 8:00 AM.

Thanks Patrick. Here is another on my large Powermatic dado saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hillenburg View Post
    I misspelled "Youngsdale", should be "Youngdale".
    I have seen a few of these or similar but never knew the proper name for them. The jig looks impressive too.

Mike

Looks Great one question

Jerry,
    Is your table saw cabinet air tight or is there air that is getting in? I see your front door is air tight.

That fence drawer is the bee's knees!!! I like it, and the 84" rip!! bowing.gif I thought I was nuts with 65". Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Tom, openings in the saw's cabinet were filled from the trunnions down, but in the trunnion area and above, I left them open so the dust collector suction would not be makeup air starved. It just made sense to me to do it this way. I must confess that I have not put a lot of thought into the science of air movement inside the saw's cabinet.
    Last edited by Jerry Hillenburg; 01-19-2013 at 1:24 PM.

Jim, and every body else; Wow! I am a little taken back by the interest in the Sliding Tool Tray Drawer. Makes me feel good!

I purchased the 84" fence from Biesemeyer in 1984. At that time they did not make such a thing - they had to custom make it for me. Having 84" between the blade and the fence is invaluable.
    Last edited by Jerry Hillenburg; 01-19-2013 at 7:56 AM.

I think they at one time had a 96" rail set up? Maybe they started marketing it after making one for you! I need to see if I can work on the face panels for my Grizzly fence. The material used, while slick, doesn't lend itself to being flat. It's usable, but not perfect. If I can't fix that, I'm going to start looking for a Biese rail, or the right size square tubing that I can make my own. I have some online dealers for the Biese rails saved in my bookmarks, but last I looked, most of the long ones were no longer made. I guess once the actual Biese units were out of the system, Delta didn't make any more of them. Maybe when I get to the point of doing this, there will still be some of the 52" units available so I can shift to the right and keep the length I have now. (I have a Biese on my contractor saw, so I have the fence already.) Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.