Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Table top wiggle

Larry---

I, too, hope you are still having fun with this. Sounds like you are closing in on an acceptable fix. I really like Sam's Option #17, though it would be a bigger project than the bracket you are considering. My general attitude is: "whatever works," so if the bracket does the job, so be it. I would suggest that the bracket you are considering be made as thick as practical---I think the thickness here matters a lot (it aproaches the x-brace, and Sam's curved apron). My .02

Larry, not trying to be repetitious with the questions, but thank for answering again. The amount of movement you indicate is excessive, I agree, and the cross-braces might be the only solution since I would image the lag bolts are tight and things are still moving. I think that the cross-bracing will be most effective midway on the span of the legs that are moving, (like your 1/21 picture) although that might not be the most aesthetically pleasing location. If you could somehow apply the cross-bracing at the innermost section of the curve, that might be the most invisible and still provide adequate support. Again, you could test this by moving your clamped pieces down to the apex of the lower curves. Looking forward to seeing your final solution.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Larry, not trying to be repetitious with the questions, but thank for answering again. The amount of movement you indicate is excessive, I agree, and the cross-braces might be the only solution since I would image the lag bolts are tight and things are still moving. I think that the cross-bracing will be most effective midway on the span of the legs that are moving, (like your 1/21 picture) although that might not be the most aesthetically pleasing location. If you could somehow apply the cross-bracing at the innermost section of the curve, that might be the most invisible and still provide adequate support. Again, you could test this by moving your clamped pieces down to the apex of the lower curves. Looking forward to seeing your final solution.
    Like I said earlier, I had no real idea as to the exact amount of movement. I checked it this morning with an eye as to how much movement there actually was. As it turned out, with the brace in place, the movement was probably less than 1/4 inch. I then checked my store bought dining table that is a 4 ft round with a glass top. It actually had about the same amount of movement as my table. So I am even more encouraged that this is the fix I have been looking for. The glass top table is used daily and we have never given it a thought about being weak or wobbly, so maybe I am being overly critical of the movement. I did not work on it at all last night, but hope to tonight. I will keep everyone posted as to my progress. I hope to have something in place before the end of the weekend.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    Quick update on my project.
    It is Sunday morning and I thought I would give a quick update. I have managed to build the brace but am struggling with how to get it attached to the legs without too much damage to the stain already applied to the legs.
    table1a.JPG
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Dive in Larry . Sorry to say but short of cutting the brace into 1/4s and glueing it in place I think you are destined to do some refinishing. This adversity will only make you a better woodworker (he says humbly and with empathy after having been in a similar quandary more than once).
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Larry, were you thinking that you would glue it together or use pocket screws? I bet you could get two pocket screws per leg. If the fit is tight that might be enough to stiffen it up.

Blog Entries
    Well here is the results of my effort today.
    table.jpgtable1.jpg

I think it came out pretty well. I actually stained the top and bottom of the brace, but left the edges raw wood. After I got it positioned on the legs (it was a pretty tight fit, and it did scratch the legs a bit) I drilled and screwed the brace in place (one in each "ear" of the brace). I did not glue it, because I had already stained and finished the legs. I then plugged the hole and sanded flush. I stained the edge, repaired the scratches, and is is now ready for final topcoat. That will probably go on tomorrow night.
    Oh, one more thing, before installing the brace I glued the legs to the foot assembly which I think will also help. I can still remove the top stretchers, but the rest of the leg assembly is now one piece. I am going to deliver the table Saturday. At this point I am really happy this project is all but done.

Thanks to all who helped me on this. I think next time I design something, I am going to fully assemble it before I start finishing.
    Larry J Browning

Works and looks good too. Congrats on your perseverance and success.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Nice work Larry. This turned out very nicely. Your screw solution was spot on.

Blog Entries
    I delivered the table yesterday. Here is a picture of me, the table, and it's new proud owner.
    table2.JPG
    She seemed quite pleased.
    That's my son in the background.

Again, thanks to everyone who help me.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 02-03-2013 at 10:45 AM.
    Larry J Browning

Larry, I remember when you started on this. Excellent work, sir.

Blog Entries
    thanks especially to you Dave. I would have never been able to get this project off the ground without you help with sketchup. I made a few changes to our original design mostly due to not being able to reproduce the circular design elements, such as the apron. But at the end of the day it turned out very well.
    Larry J Browning

Blog Entries
    I didn't mention this earlier, but my customer, really liked the added support brace. She thought it actually added to the look of the piece.
    Larry J Browning

Very great design!