Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drinking Glass Engraving

Quote Originally Posted by David Fairfield View Post
    Ditto. As far as I knew, Epilog didn't make a chuck type. If Epilog wised up and made a chuck type, or an adapter to convert that roller gadget to a chuck, that would be very good news.

Dave
    Actually Dave, Epilog does make a Chuck Type. It is targeted towards their FiberMark Lasers but will work with C02 lasers. It is very expensive...i believe $1800 to $2400.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Busey View Post
    Walter or anyone, could you elaborate? Why is crystal a no no? And what problems do the blue or green cause?
    I personally stay away from laser etching Crystal. Crystals have more Lead content than silica which makes the glass dense...no air pockets. Cheap glass doesn't have lead just silica. Cheap glass allows the glass to fracture better during engraving due to the air pockets. I prefer sandblasting crystal for a better appearance and consistency with images.

I am surprised by this. My experience is that crystal etches much cleaner than glassware....maybe I am doing something wrong, as I am very new to glass and crystal etching....but I have had wonderful results with both so far and it has increased our sales significantly! All I do to combat the shards from glassware is wash it with a 2 sided sponge, using the "scrubby" side to go over the engraving. I do agree that blue and green glassware seems to be thinner and cracks if I try to etch too large of a design. If I stick to something small however it holds up just fine.

I've done quite a few glasses...I do always run a test run first just to make sure it is going to work well...I generally use 100p and about 80s on my 75w epilog though sometimes I adjust a bit....I usually like to use painters tape and run a test strip before I do the finished product...just to make sure alignment, etc... is right...you only really get one shot at it... I've usually found the glasses at the dollar store are fine...they are inexpensive and work well...I've also gotten cheap glasses/mugs from wal-mart and other discount stores...they generally all perform well. Masking...I have compared results using masking and not using it. I've gotten some newsprint paper wet with some windex and run the project at times and other times have not. I do believe I get a cleaner finished product with the paper. I will say that if you do this you should make sure that you don't get the paper too wet. Once or twice I've gotten the paper too wet and it dripped down to my rollers making the glass slip while etching. Some may have had other results but I have found that I can't use a very detailed image on glass...you just don't get the detail on it. I use simple clip art, logos and text....all of these usually look great. One thing to remember is that you are really only going to get two colors...either etched or not...so you won't really get any depth or color variation out of the image. On colored glass, I would have to agree...I DO really like to look of the etching on colored glass but don't ALWAYS get the result I'd like...I tend to lean towards colored glass if I can make it work for a project because you get a more contrasting product (i.e. white etching with cobalt blue background)...but again..... Whenever I am doing a glass project, I usually ALWAYS get one or two extra glasses to run as tests...sometimes I'll etch the logo a few times on a glass to test for size, etc....to see what I think looks best...and then there is always the oops factor....that glass that slips or you just didn't put into the roller quite right and the logo is a little askew....I always try to have an extra just in case....when I get them from the dollar store they are only a dollar anyway so they aren't costing me much.. Having said all of that....what I have presented is MY experience...there are a lot of folks on this board with a lot more experience then I have...I've found that it helps to get as much input from these experts as possible!
    Have a Blessed Day!
    William
    Mona Lazer
    Epilog Helix 75W Windows 7 X64, Photoshop CS5, Corel Draw X6, Photograv 3.0, etc...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Talley Boatwright View Post
    Cheap glass allows the glass to fracture better during engraving due to the air pockets.
    This is incorrect. The mark you see on engraved glasses is due to stress fractures... the laser heats the glass to the melting point, then as it cools, the stress builds up. As it approaches a normal temp again, the stress finally gives in and you get a fracture. The air pocket / impurity inclusion wive's tale was originally started in an early issue of The Engraver's Journal and has lived on ever since. I have posted pics on here before of engravings I've done on Ridel leaded glasses... they make a very high-quality leaded glass, no impurities or inclusions, and my engraving came out just fine.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    This is incorrect. The mark you see on engraved glasses is due to stress fractures... the laser heats the glass to the melting point, then as it cools, the stress builds up. As it approaches a normal temp again, the stress finally gives in and you get a fracture. The air pocket / impurity inclusion wive's tale was originally started in an early issue of The Engraver's Journal and has lived on ever since. I have posted pics on here before of engravings I've done on Ridel leaded glasses... they make a very high-quality leaded glass, no impurities or inclusions, and my engraving came out just fine.
    Incorrect? Dan, did you not just re-literate what I previously explain? Where as you engraving on Riedel high-quality leaded glass ( No Impurities on Inclusions) compared to Dollar Tree glasses. There is a reason for them to be cheaper due more impurities. Now who would know more about quality of glasses to engrave on besides an Glass Etcher or Glass Blower? Most customers do not have a clue, neither does a novice glass engraver or etcher.

Blog Entries
    Incorrect? Dan, did you not just re-literate what I previously explain? Where as you engraving on Riedel high-quality leaded glass ( No Impurities on Inclusions) compared to Dollar Tree glasses. There is a reason for them to be cheaper due more impurities. Now who would know more about quality of glasses to engrave on besides an Glass Etcher or Glass Blower? Most customers do not have a clue, neither does a novice glass engraver or etcher.
    No, I didn't. You said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Talley Boatwright
    Cheap glass allows the glass to fracture better during engraving due to the air pockets.
    I personally stay away from laser etching Crystal. Crystals have more Lead content than silica which makes the glass dense...no air pockets.
    Engraving on glass has nothing to do with air pockets in the glass. The reason is as I mentioned earlier. That's the reason both poor and high-quality glass engraves. You claim to stay away from lead-filled, dense crystal as the engraving is of lower quality than cheap glass with air pockets. If that's what you're seeing then your settings are wrong. And to suggest otherwise to novice glass engravers on this board is doing them a disservice.
    Now who would know more about quality of glasses to engrave on besides an Glass Etcher or Glass Blower?
    Define "glass etcher". A "glass blower" could likely tell you the quality of the glass he turns out, but a laser engraver (glass etcher?) who knows what he's doing will be able to tell you more about how it engraves than the glass blower ever could. Nor would I expect the blower to know how the glass will etch unless he is also engraves with a laser. It's a poor comparison, and I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish by making the comparison in the first place.

I see that we are going specifics. First off, if you are using a laser to mark ( Abrasion of the surface) glassware, that would be etching. Engraving is referred to cutting into the surface by the means of sandblasting or diamond bits. So if an individual is working with glass on a daily basis, they soon know which properties of glass would provide better artwork. A glass blower would know what they have placed in the glass to create certain charteristics, such as colors, hardness, and etc. So I don't know by me making that comparison went over you head. But some comparisons you shouldn't have to dumb it down! The initial post was a simple explanation...not for someone to prove a self proclaim doctoral in glass properties. Relax and learn...teach what you can.

Blog Entries
    The initial post was a simple explanation...not for someone to prove a self proclaim doctoral in glass properties. Relax and learn...teach what you can.
    Your initial post was not just a simplified explanation, it was wrong in its conclusion. You outright said a cheap glass provided a better quality of engraving (fine, "etching", if you want to be pedantic about it) than crystal. That was incorrect, and my response was to make sure the OP (or the next person to read this thread) does not go away thinking crystal was not a good substrate to use.

Sure, I often provide more details in my responses than needed for someone who wants to just push a button and get the job done, but it was hardly a doctoral thesis (if you want that, you can search on a thread I posted a few years back showing graphs of how deep a CO2 laser is absorbed into the surface of glass, how it fractures, etc.). I do "teach what I can" (despite your insistence one sentence earlier that I shouldn't)... and considering your incorrect conclusions, maybe it's you that should "relax and learn".

Boy... It's hard to jump in after that volley, but to an earlier post...

Quote Originally Posted by David Fairfield View Post
    ...the Epilog rotary tool is frustrating to use due to potential for slip, and due to glasses being slightly out of round, both issues fouls up the graphics....
    Agreed - Been there, will do that again... For glasses and cylinders, I have built simple round weights that I place inside. As the glass/cylinder turns, so does the weight, keeping the object in good contact with the friction rollers. Sometimes I even place a wide rubber band around an object. The rubber to rubber helps to insure a good grip.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I do little glass engraving as I prefer sand carving but when I do engrave I find that I get a better result with lower power and resolution. My goal is for a frosted look rather than a fractured look. That is attainable with glass or crystal with just a bit of experimentation.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I find that sandblasting does a decent job on text, but lacks the ability to etch fine details. however, a laser can do exceptional photographs once you spend hours and hours and hours and hours developing a technique..
    Vase.jpg
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Bill, That's pretty nice work...
    Epilog Helix 60w
    Epilog Mini 18 30W
    Purex Xbase 200
    CorelDRAW X7
    Wood Carver

I do quite a bit of Glass engraving with a rotary. The best technique I've found is to cut pcs of paper towel slightly larger that the laser area. I lay these pcs. on the glass where it is to be engraved, then spray the paper towel with water, you want the PT saturated so it conforms to the glass tightly, work out any air bubbles, then engrave. You need to play with your settings but you should get near sand blasted quality but with less the depth.
    Last edited by Neal Schlee; 01-27-2013 at 2:40 PM.
    Neal Schlee

Machines:
    ULS X2-660 120 watt SuperSpeed
    Multicam Pro 102 Dual Z CNC Router & Multicam 44 Plus Dual Z CNC Router
    Shop Built Custom CNC Machines
    Mutoh VJ 1204 Wide Format Printer
    55" Laminator
    Graphtec 54" Vinyl Cutter
    Sublimation Equipment
    Sand Blasting Equipment
    Various Woodworking Equipment

Software:
    Aspire, Enroute, Flexi Pro 10.5, CorelDraw X6 to name a few!

Quote Originally Posted by David Rust View Post
    Bill, That's pretty nice work...
    Thanks David..I try
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it