Thread: Rebuilt air compressor

Rebuilt air compressor

I found a rebuilt air compressor on Craigslist:

"I have 60 gal. compressor for sale. The compressor has been rebuilt. It has a brand new pump (15.8cfm@90psi), a brand new 5hp dual cap. motor and a new check valve. I was currently rebuilding this but received a new one for xmas. It needs to be finished, putting the supply tube in and guard for the belts. If you are handy with tools this would make a great compressor."

Any help on whether this could be a good deal or not is appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John Keeton; 01-20-2013 at 3:13 PM.

In my experience, when things start falling apart on your compressor, the tank is about ready to give up.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't say tank was shot. But clearly, there was a problem to have both motor and pump being replaced. I'd not give him many $ but I'd expect more use than a pancake. I have a cheep HF that compressor died on. tank was fine, motor ok.

From what I can see in the photo I would steer clear. It appears the base is redone to accommodate a different mounting for the compressor or motor or both. No telling what you would really be getting. then there is the tank. The scariest thing of all. They usually don't suffer catastrophic failures but if they do it can be very bad. My old compressor began to leak out of a pin hole on the tank. So i picked up a like new tank for cheap from a compressor that locked up. Got everything setup and then the motor failed. So I just bought a new stationary and moved on. I now have a large portable storage tank. New replacement tanks are prohibitively expensive so I wouldn't spend much on it if you decide to proceed. Just my .02 worth.

Eric I have a feeling if it were an easy fix he would have done it before putting it up for sale. I would run away from that one.

Steve

Its impossible to say whether its a good deal since no price is listed. I say it depends on components he used but I'm thinking that pump says US General which is Harbor Freight and it looks just like this one. That means he probably also bought the motor at HF. Now you've got a HF compressor with a used tank of unknown quality/condition that needs a guard fabricated.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Its impossible to say whether its a good deal since no price is listed. I say it depends on components he used but I'm thinking that pump says US General which is Harbor Freight and it looks just like this one. That means he probably also bought the motor at HF. Now you've got a HF compressor with a used tank of unknown quality/condition that needs a guard fabricated.

I concur with Matt. If the compressor were a well respected brand, such as Dayton, IR, CH, Quincy, etc, then by all means it could be a worthwhile project. But if it's HF components, save your $ and buy a good compressor.

BTW, where in Newburgh do you live? I used to live downtown on Main Street and then later on Melody Lane.

It would have to be dirt cheap before I would even consider it. I think you would be better off to continue shopping, cobbled together compressors with inferior parts, sounds like a major headache to me.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

I would find out what type of pump it has. A quality pump can cost more than an entire 60 gallon compressor at Menards.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

Be sure to look at how he has attached the new compressor bracket to the tank. IF it is welded, run away very quickly. Air compressor tanks are ASME rated vessels, meaning they have gone through hydrostatic pressure testing to a higher pressure than it will ever see (generally pressurized with water, in a water bath to minimize energy in case the tank fails) to check for weak points.

Welding to an ASME rated tank voids its safety rating and may greatly weaken the tank, depending upon the qualifications of the welder. A rust-through pinhold leak is a PITA.. a tank rupture due to welding can easily be deadly.

Just an additional consideration to those above.

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!