Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home built table saw

Home built table saw

I was just browsing around and came across this video. Some crazy Scotsman showing off his homebuilt table saw. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndvCKJU1bwM&sns=em
    Duc in altum!

How about a 150 HP lathe? Those crazy Canadians!

The cut at the end was like watching a horror movie. I wanted to cover my eyes.

My favorite part was where he said he had about 200 pounds in it. Don't know what the current exchange rare is, but it adds up to somewhere around $350. Around here you can pick up decent table saws for that much, and they have little extras like fences and miter gages.

Heck, I sold my dads Craftsman with improved motor, steel pulleys, and link belt for $200.

Sheesh.

Rick Potter

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
    How about a 150 HP lathe? Those crazy Canadians!
    You should see how he cuts dovetail with a chainsaw:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyXFE_biEwc

Be afraid. Be VERY afraid.
    I was waitin' for a HUGE kickback.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

The crzy Scotsman has an English accent!

Huh, if I'm viewing this video correctly, he welded the blade to the shaft? Is that right?

That is one of the craziest DIY projects I have ever seen. I'll take the Caravan lathe over that table mounted amputator any day... It sure looked to me that the blade was welded to the shaft.

A"pucker factor" of 10!
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

He welded what he called the "boss" onto the shaft. If you look close you can see the nut on the end of the shaft. And, that is a Scottish accent.

Many years ago, FWW featured a guy names Winchip, who built both a wooden jointer and wooden slider table saw. Only in the last seventy five years have factory made table saws become affordable for the average Joe.

So, he spent $350 to get all the functionality of a $120 skill saw without any of the safety or convenience! He's a genius. Real credit to woodworking. Does he make bandsaws too?

My hands hurt just watching that.

Quick glance at Craigs list. See a 10" Unisaw w/mobile base - $650, 1 hour drive from here.
    Can't fix stupid.
    Last edited by Tom Fischer; 01-21-2013 at 10:12 AM.

I can admire his ingenuity, but the last time I saw something like that was in a video from a third world country.
    For 200 pounds I think he could bought something better.

Those guys with the minivan lathe are hysterical. A plow blade for a rest. Of course if his "2" gouge" catches, it's going to break his leg.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)