Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Shop, part 3

[QUOTE=Mike Vermeil]I was in East Jordan 12 or 13 years ago John. Beautiful place. I believe I was up there to look at a Dura Automotive plant.

Seems like there was quite a hub-bub a while back about your method of foundation. What did you finally decide on?[/QUOTE]

Mike,

I was hoping y'all had forgotten the "hub-bub." Well, I took my shots the first time, so here goes. I wanted a wood foundation without using treated lumber. I've gone with pine. (I'll start ducking now.) The foundation sits on 1/4 inch crushed stone 3 feet deep. The entire foundation is protected by foundation plastic directing any moisture away from the foundation. In addition, the landscaping around the shop will have a slope to direct any run-off away from the building. I realize this is lunacy and I fully expect the building to fall over at some time in the future. I'll deal with it. But if it doesn't, the satisfaction of sticking to my principles will be great. So, ready, aim, fire.

John, if you can keep it dry and keep the bugs way...it will last for some time. Mitigating the threats is most important to that end and it appears you're planning for that.

Your shop is looking good! And you're making good time now.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

John,

I feel that you've identified the proper method of natural earthquake shock absorbtion. I'd say you're quite the visionary.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Jim,

Thanks for your words of encouragement. (However, I'm keeping my fencing facemask on for the time being.) After discussing the problem of bugs with local builders, it appears that is not a problem in this locale. The minus 30 and 40 degree temperatures seems to take its toll. We have a small horse shed that's been sitting on the ground for 28 yrs. and we still use it.