Thread: 16 GB vs 32 GB. Kindle Fire HD

16 GB vs 32 GB. Kindle Fire HD

Trying to get an idea how many movies and/ or songs a 16 GB Kindle Fire will hold vs a 32 GB.
    I have no idea how large a movie or song file is.

My guess 16GB is enough because of the cloud storage.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I think Amazon cloud gives you between 5 and 20 GB, depending on various ifs, ands and buts.
    Personally, I don't believe in cloud storage for privacy and security reasons. Especially not with Amazon.

An average song will be around 3.5MB, or about 1MB per minute at 128kbps quality.
    A concept on an average movies is much more fluid. It could be 500MB or it could exceed 4GB. Depends on the format.
    To understand recursion, one must first understand recursion

Dave, I have one of the early kindle fires. I can't answer your specific question about how many music or video files will fit on a 16GB vs 32GB Kindle Fire HD. What I can tell you is how I use my older Kindle Fire. I travel a lot internationally and can't rely on the cloud storage when I am on the road. That is, I likely won't be in a position to download from the cloud while traveling. Either I won't have access to Wifi or the access cost will be too high. Because of that, before I leave on a trip I make sure I have the music files, apps, and books that I want for any particular trip stored on the device. I don't watch movies on my Kindle Fire which saves a lot of memory usage. If I were looking at the Kindle Fire HD, I would opt for 32GB. This is a one time cost of $50 that will provide a considerable amount of additional flexibility on how much you can store on the device. Keep in mind that just in general the amount of file space needed is always going to grow over time. You also might want to check Amazon's Kindle forum for advice.

....you can never have too much storage on your drives or memory cards. If it's a financial decision, then that would be one thing, but time has shown, and will no doubt continue to indicate that more storage is better.

I bought a 64GB iPad 2. Next tablet I'll buy 32GB. It depends a lot though on how much video you want to keep on there. I don't think there are a ton of privacy concerns with storing music and movies in the cloud but access to the cloud on the go requires using cellular data which is usage-limited, finding free WiFi, or in most airports for example, paying for WiFi. And on a plane, if you are lucky you'll get barely working WiFi for $10. If you want to use it in these situations and feel you can be proactive transferring the content you want to local storage you might be fine with 16GB.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I bought a 64GB iPad 2. Next tablet I'll buy 32GB.
    Matt, why do you want to go with less memory next time?

I just don't use that much. Currently I'm using 38GB, of which 22 is videos. Most of that I've already watched and could come off there. I definitely don't need 22 on there at once.

Amazon sells this for extra storage.

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Wi-Dr...I3DCM5AN9ZJBA3
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale